Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,729   Online: 859
      
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 62
  1. #31

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New Orleans
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    34
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by smieglitz View Post
    Nooooo. Trade that thing to me for a film holder. The FPAs make great wetplate holders. And I use the metal from any old film packs to adjust the focal plane for the glass plates.

    BTW, the 1234 film pack adapter is for 4x5 so if it fits your camera back, you have a 4x5 camera.
    We might be able to work something out... I have been reading about wet plate lately and, while I don't think I'll ever take the leap, I think it looks like a fascinating process!
    Last edited by tryals15; 05-22-2012 at 08:20 AM. Click to view previous post history.

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,236
    Images
    9
    That will turn out to be the most expensive 3 dollar purchase you ever made. This crap is addictive, and bigger drugs and processes are just around the corner. Pretty soon you will be whoring yourself to support a 20x24 10 sheet a day habit. Quit now.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

    So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

  3. #33
    Roger Cole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Suburbs of Atlanta, GA USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,864
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    That will turn out to be the most expensive 3 dollar purchase you ever made. This crap is addictive, and bigger drugs and processes are just around the corner. Pretty soon you will be whoring yourself to support a 20x24 10 sheet a day habit. Quit now.
    True the first part (most expensive three dollars..) not necessarily true the rest. I'm still pretty happy with 4x5, mainly because I have two 4x5 enlargers and don't want to limit myself to contact prints. Now if I ever stumble on a deal close enough to take advantage of on an 8x10 enlarger... but I could resist buying that and the camera and the lenses and the film holders, really I could, I could quit any time I wanted...

  4. #34

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New Orleans
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    34
    Images
    6
    lol. Just read these to my wife. She laughed... Kind of.. I think...

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,378
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    That will turn out to be the most expensive 3 dollar purchase you ever made. This crap is addictive, and bigger drugs and processes are just around the corner. Pretty soon you will be whoring yourself to support a 20x24 10 sheet a day habit. Quit now.
    What the OP needs to do is acquire a very expensive drug addiction. Then, he gets off the drugs and uses the camera gear he will be able to buy (with the money he's not spending on South American toads) as therapy. Everyone's happy.
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 05-22-2012 at 04:36 PM. Click to view previous post history.

  6. #36
    Roger Cole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Suburbs of Atlanta, GA USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,864
    Large format photography is way more bad ass than drugs. Just sayin'.

  7. #37

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,378
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Large format photography is way more bad ass than drugs. Just sayin'.
    You've never done really good drugs, then.

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New Orleans
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    34
    Images
    6
    I feel as though we may have wandered into the weeds here...

    Back to the subject at hand.

    It seems that both back braces for the rails of one of these cameras are broken. I've looked here and online, and unless I missed it I can't seem to find any information on possible replacements (Except to say replacement parts are scarce...). I also am curious how to get around the baffles to unscrew the mounting screws... Ideas?

  9. #39

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    207
    Hi tryals15, just FYI: Your Speed is pre-1955 (side rangefinder); the Crown is post-1955 (top rangefinder). I was mystified by the 3 types of Graflex and Graphic backs till I found this good explanation, complete with illustrations:
    http://lommen9.home.xs4all.nl/holders/index.html
    Your Crown definitely has the Graflok back which looks to be in good complete shape, so I assume it's the Speed that has the broken rail braces. You didn't include a picture of the back on the Speed, so I can't tell if it has the Graphic, or spring, back (pre-1951) or the Graflok back (post-1951). Probably the Graflok back, since the spring back doesn't have what I'd call rail braces.
    I've been using Graphic press and Graflex SLR cameras for years and really like them. The people on the Graflex site were happy to help me out when I started. I recommend a visit:
    http://www.graflex.org/
    One member, 45pss, is a technical expert and has contributed more than 1000 posts. I'm sure he could give you some advice re those broken braces.

  10. #40

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New Orleans
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    34
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by tessar View Post
    Hi tryals15, just FYI: Your Speed is pre-1955 (side rangefinder); the Crown is post-1955 (top rangefinder). I was mystified by the 3 types of Graflex and Graphic backs till I found this good explanation, complete with illustrations:
    http://lommen9.home.xs4all.nl/holders/index.html
    Your Crown definitely has the Graflok back which looks to be in good complete shape, so I assume it's the Speed that has the broken rail braces. You didn't include a picture of the back on the Speed, so I can't tell if it has the Graphic, or spring, back (pre-1951) or the Graflok back (post-1951). Probably the Graflok back, since the spring back doesn't have what I'd call rail braces.
    I've been using Graphic press and Graflex SLR cameras for years and really like them. The people on the Graflex site were happy to help me out when I started. I recommend a visit:
    http://www.graflex.org/
    One member, 45pss, is a technical expert and has contributed more than 1000 posts. I'm sure he could give you some advice re those broken braces.
    Wow, that first site is great. I definitely have the Graflok back (same on both). The rails I was talking about are the bellow rails. There is about a 2 inch section of rail all the way in the back that has a metal guide holding it down, the braces are in good shape on one camera, but they are all busted up on the other. Does that make sense? I didn't realize there was a forum on graflex.org; I'm headed there now.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin