Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,696   Posts: 1,482,505   Online: 962

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Shawn - yeah I thought a lot about the 80 XL initially but it doesn't allow for enough movement (for me). I love the 72 XL though (except filters, ouch). 80 would be a perfect focal length for much of my work (pretty much exactly a 24mm lens in 35mm format). If Schneider had made a "true" wide angle design 80 XL, I probably wouldn't need the 72 or the 90. I'd go for the 80, 110 (or a 120), 150, 300 kit and be done with it.

I have a 300 Fuji C I'm excited to start using (waiting for the Walker SF to get here).

FlyingCamera - I wish I could use slower wide angle lenses, but I just find f8 too difficult in low light. I had a chance to try a 120 f8 Nikkor recently. That would have been a great lens to have, but it was just too dim off axis - and 120 isn't even that wide. Not that f5.6 is so much better, but it does help significantly in my case.
    Last edited by Michael R 1974; 05-23-2012 at 10:46 AM. Click to view previous post history.

I used to own a 90XL and got rid of it. It was a pain to use as you mentioned. A friend of mine has the 110XL and I borrow it a lot. Great lens. Even for 8x10.

Shooter
    Large Format

Fog issue with 80 XL and 110 xl

Unfortunately I got 2 bad samples (SS 80 XL and SS 110 XL) from Schneider with the fog problem.

Bought in 2004 (early batches) they were ok until 2010.

I did not do LF photo for 2 years and when I decided to do some shots last year I noticed that both XL had this fog issue.

I have other Schneider lenses with not issue at all (72 XL, 90 XL,...)

They were sent to Schneider in Germany, they can repair (is it relly a repair when we're talking about issues clearly related to a production failure supported by numerous feedbacks ?) them for 1800$ each.

Of course I refused (that's more the price I paid) but they do not want to do anything. "Customers first" is not their motto.

I can accept some risk on a cheap product from China, not from such a germany based firm.

So very good lenses if you get a good sample, a nightmare if you don't (mine are unusable and unsellable burt repairable for ... 3600$, thank you Schneider guys !).

I talked to some friends who already cancelled their orders for these lenses.

My 2 cents.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I was shooting 8x10 I discovered the wonders of a 240 F.L. So when I get back to 4x5 the first lens I will look for is a 120-ish. It is a lovely focal length. I always found 90mm just a tad wide.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin