Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,217   Posts: 1,532,137   Online: 1026

Shooter
    Multi Format

Dual Scale Dagor

I was lucky enough to be able to get to Photographica in Victoria, London this year where I bought this lens. It is marked 'C P Goerz Berlin No 132718 Doppel Anastigmat DRP No 74437 Series III No 4 f = 240mm'. A nice find particularly as it came mounted in a compound shutter and attached to a MPP lens board. What I have not seen before is the dual aperture scale:
    Scale 1 (outermost) reads 6.8, 8, 11, 16, 22, 32, 45 and 64
    Scale 2 (innermost) reads 4.6, 6, 12, 24,48,96, 192, and 384

Scale 1 is the one we are now all familiar with and scale two is understandable as a simple arithmetic progression representing a halfing or doubling of transmitted light depending on the direction in which the aperture ring is moved. At first I thought these might be U.S. f stops as seen on many of the early Kodak cameras but the equivalent values are different to those I was able to find in my searches, for example the U.S. equivalent to f 16 is 32, not 24 as here. Then I found a reference to Goerz stops but could find no further information.
    So my question is (after a rather long-winded preamble) can anyone confirm whether these are indeed Goerz stops and if so, how are they calculated?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 240mm Dagor#1.jpg   240mm Dagor#2.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not sure how they are calculated, but here is an 1899 chart of comparative scales, thanks to David Stein and the largeformatphotography.info site.

Shooter
    Large Format
    U.S. 16 equals f16, and US numbers either halve or double from there. Example; us32 equals f22, us8 equals f11.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Based in the reference in post #2, the second scale is Georz.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin