Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,940   Posts: 1,585,686   Online: 989

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is an old adage about what the slowest speed one can hand hold steadily. It goes: the slowest speed is one that approximates the focal length of your lens in millimeters. In other words, most 4 x 5 graphics have a 135 mm lens. That would mean you can hand hold comfortably at a shutter speed of 1/125 of a second or faster. A 150 mm should be OK at that speed too with care. For 35 mm cameras, a 50 mm lens can be hand held at 1/60. I tell my students that with practice they should be able to drop down at least another speed.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I was just going to mention artonpaper's tip, above.

The Crown and Speed Graphics were made for hand holding, and I've done so with mine too. I say, just dive right in and give it a try -- it's a safe assumption that it's easier than you may think beforehand!

The main point is to make sure your rangefinder is calibrated so you get proper focusing, and to give yourself a bit of leeway through depth-of-field also.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As others have implied - yes, of course.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    Cheers for that. So, in reality, not having the focal plane shutter on the crown, is not too much of a disadvantage (as long as we are using a leaf shutter lens)?
    The practical advantage of having a focal plane shutter is the ability to use barrel (non-shuttered) lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by graywolf View Post
    Basically, that is why Graphex came out with the Crown Graphic in 1947, some people just did not need the focal plane shutter any longer.
    ... and that was further re-iterated later in Graphlex history with the SuperGraphic, where the fast speed was provided only on a version called the SuperSpeed Graphic with the 1000 speed leaf shutter.

I find the focla plane shutter to be quite worth the weight because of the abiltity to use barrel lenses. Not everyone needs or wants that flexibility... then or now!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    The practical advantage of having a focal plane shutter is the ability to use barrel (non-shuttered) lenses.
    Reason number 2 why I bought a Pacemaker Speed Graphic and a Graflex Model D.

Reason 1 was that I wanted LF cameras that I could use hand held.

Reason 3 is that I wanted an camera that also had some movements.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I shoot with my left hand under the strap with my fingers around the body frame.

How many shoot that way and how many shoot with the left hand under the camera?
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    at this age juncture most of the FP shutters on Speeds don't work very well -- at least mine doesn't. Look around you can find one pretty easily with a 127mm Kodak Ektar and have fun, either a crown or speed -- they were made for being used handheld Keep ur shutter speed at 100 or above.

and remember, the guys who used those things in combat had to get shots of the troops advancing, "and we want to see their faces..."

Shooter
    35mm
    Yesterday I went to a Memorial Day event at the Carolinas Aviation Museum, where there were several WWII-vintage planes on display, including the only airworthy B-29 bomber in existence. They were playing big band swing music and some original flight crew members were there. It struck me that it would have been really appropriate to have taken a Speed Graphic and used it handheld.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by graywolf View Post
    .... that is why Graphex came out with the Crown Graphic in 1947, some people just did not need the focal plane shutter any longer.
    FYI Graflex is the company name.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin