Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,847   Posts: 1,582,801   Online: 834

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Issues with Rollei IR 400 using Mod54 / Paterson tank setup...

I use two Mod54 6 sheet 4x5 inserts to develop my film. It works perfect for all my 4x5 sheet film except thin as heck Rollei IR 400. No matter how gentle I am with it, the pouring out of the chemistry dislogdges the film and they get stuck together, a real PITA.

So outside of paying $200-$300 for a Nikor tank or $400+ for an Expert Drum, I was wondering if I could use already developed sheets of 4x5 behind each sheet of Rollei as a stiffener?

I might give this a try as the sheets that did not have one stuck to the emulsion side always have looked fine even if stuck to another sheet...
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    You could use sheets as you suggested. I would be careful to pre-soak in water to make sure the back of the undeveloped sheet is totally wet to prevent sticking of the anti-halation backing to the previously processed sheet.

Alternatively a simpler solution would be to use 4x5 hangers in a hard rubber tank or process sheets in a tray.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What about this:

A single sheet of Tmax-100 is .20mm thick, two sheets of Rollei IR are .22mm, so in theory, if I did a nice pre-soak, I could soup the IR back to back....?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    !!taco!! Its the only way that I develop my 4x5 now. I do it in a nikor tank and either can develop 4 or 5 at a time, depending on how many I have to develop.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have found that the Paterson Orbital gives absolutely beautiful negatives. I use it without the base with 400ml Caffenol processed in a semi stand manner. If you want to use it as an orbital processor it takes considerably less developer (as little as 80ml if used with constant agitation). Even the taco method gave me some negatives with a mark/s, the orbital has given perfect negatives every time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, it did not work. So since I need a daylight solution for all my film processing, I might be out of luck for IR film in 4x5.....which means I might be selling my 4x5 gear already....HP Combiplan recently discontinued, Nikor tanks going for hundreds on ebay...what a TOTAL junk show it is to develop this stuff, damn!
    Last edited by PKM-25; 06-01-2012 at 02:02 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The Rollei IR400 film flexes and moves a lot in the Combiplan tanks - It might work if you only load two sheets (one each side). The Jobo 25xx series tanks and reels are another option, but again, I wouldn't want to load them with six sheets at a time. With such a thin film base, any tank that supports the sheets by the edge is going to give problems. Like Ed, I found the Paterson Orbital works fine, but they are going for silly money on ebay...

Two alternatives spring to mind, both require short periods of total dark in the darkroom:
    The BTZS tubes - Still in production ? If not, fairly easy to fabricate using off the shelf plumbing components.
    A modified Premier paper safe (from Freestyle) in the style of the Paterson Orbital mods or with a slosher inserted.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Paul, what about the spiral Nikor tanks?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've never used a Nikkor tank, let alone seen one in the flesh. But looking at the image attached to post #1132559, I see it provides a supporting bar in the middle of each sheet. This should stop the Rollei film from moving around and contacting an adjacent sheet. If you can find one for a reasonable price, I'd say go for it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use Patterson core to hold film and bought some plastic food storage containers the right size for each bath, place them in a print tray to prevent chem slop. I process in the dark moving from one to the other with a timer on the tray in front of each bath. No streaks, perfect agitation, immediate immersion with no pouring or leaks. This ended my headaches with this tank. Te holders are great to load. Because no pouring of chem, the thin films would probably not be bent and displaced. Hope that this helps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin