Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,886   Posts: 1,520,599   Online: 1032

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

SA 58 XL for 4x5 : center filter or not ?

I'm about to "pull the trigger" and get a 58XL for my Tachihara.

Is it usable without a C.F., or shall I absolutely budget for one ?

If you used it on a Tachihara, did you use a recessed board ?
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You'll have to try it for yourself and see. That's the advice I got and I think it is good advice. Depends on the type of photography, your personal preferences, and the type of film (ie how much exposure latitude).

It really seems to depend on the person, and the application. I've never used the 58, but I have a 72 XL and I prefer it with the center filter, so for me that means the 58 XL would definitely need one. Falloff is likely very pronounced on that lens, especially when shifted or if using front tilt. But other people might be ok without one.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It depends i would say. When you want to do a lot of slides: yes. Personally i only do black & white and i don't use one. I take care to over expose my prints to have enough shadow detail in the corners left and i compensate in the darkroom, if necessary. Generally this means i over expose by a stop. And i use it in a recessed lens board, on a Toyo 45 A.

Images
    When I had my Tachihara, I used a little 65mm f8 (SA clone) on it. With the rear standard slid forward and the front standard slid all the way back, the 65mm would just focus at infinity with no room for movements. A 58mm will definitely need a recessed board. I would also make sure that the rear element of the 58mm will actually fit into the Tachihara.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by r-brian View Post
    When I had my Tachihara, I used a little 65mm f8 (SA clone) on it. With the rear standard slid forward and the front standard slid all the way back, the 65mm would just focus at infinity with no room for movements. A 58mm will definitely need a recessed board. I would also make sure that the rear element of the 58mm will actually fit into the Tachihara.
    Schneider's site list it at 70mm flange distance, while their SA is at 70.5, so it should be OK. But I still intend to get a recessed board, for more comfort.
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin