Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,877   Online: 932

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

The problem is just accumulated dirt. Take the mechanism apart and clean. If you cannot take the mechanism apart, just loosen those levers and tap the bak with a hammer to get it to move, then clean under it. This is a common problem, but it not a big deal.

Michael A. Smith

Gentle with the hammer....:}...don't get frustrated!

I cleaned up the opposing surfaces on my camera as well. Once clean there was still some "chattering" and grabbing as the surfaces moved against each other. A small amount of silicon spray was a big help.

Thanks Michael. I knew you would have the answer...

Elliot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    doug, if you and elliot have one of these cameras ,i better start looking for one too!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Hi Ralph!

When will you be back in Florida? I can come with the KMV and we can photograph together.

Elliot

Shooter
    Multi Format

Restoring my Kodak Mast View 8x10

Wonderful camera. I have two of them

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks All for the advice re. getting the rear standard to swing. I've tapped the levers gently (rubber mallet), still very stiff. I have the exploded 'manual' showing the parts details so I'll get to work getting in there and cleaning.

If I may ask another question (I don't know if it's perhaps also related to the sticky rear swing). I've noticed there's a bit of vertical play where the 'L-brackets' that carry the rear standard along the geared focusing tracks meet the groove along the outside edge of the focusing track, thus allowing the standard to rock a bit back and forth. It's unaffected by locking down the rear focus knob. Admittedly, it's not much play, doesn't effect the ability to focus or image quality as everything is stable after the film holder has been inserted, etc. Could it be a problem (windy conditions, say)? Sorry if I haven't described what I'm seeing/hearing very well, but wondering if this is normal?

BTW, mine also came with a 5x7 reducing back and a half dark slide for making 2 4x10 exposures on a single sheet of 8x10, which I'm very curious to try soon.

Again, thanks.

Carl

Hi Carl:

Can you be a bit more specific in what you mean by vertical play? The focus lock would prevent the standard from moving forward or backward of course. I gather that when the focus knob is locked that the camera does not move when the holder is inserted, and everything is in focus. Consequently one suspects that everything is in order. However, once more, Michael A. Smith is certainly the expert in all aspect of the KMV camera. Hopefully he will be able to answer your question..

Ellit

I believe I understand exactly what you mean by the vertical play. That is one of the two spots on the camera where there can be wear. We have had duplicate parts made, but we need to keep them for ourselves as we have five or six Kodak Master View cameras. (One cannot have too many and most of those participating in this thread got their KMVs after seeing ours in a workshop.)

But if after you set up, lock everything and insert the holder, there is no movement, don't worry about it as there is no need to do anything.

Michael A. Smith

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    elliot,
    i got tickets to go home on jan 09 2013. see you then!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format

Restoring my Kodak Mast View 8x10

I have the same problem with one of my cameras, it rocks back and forth even if the focus is locked. I found it was the sliding focusing parts that is worn down. I also worried about this. I have another one that is like new condition, here the focusing is very smooth and no rocking back and worth. You may guess what camera I am using. If these parts are available to fix this Im interested

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin