Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,767   Posts: 1,484,158   Online: 790

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Let's see what Michael says. However, I must tell you that there have been a few KMV offered for sale on Ebay recently. The sellers seemed to be rather unfamiliar with the camera, or disingenuous in that they seemed to be reluctant to report about the real condition of the camera. In some cases the sellers stated that lens boards were easily available for $12-which tells you something about the sellers. In other instances the seller failed to extend the bellows to look for light leaks. In another sale the seller noted that small pin holes in the original bellows were not an issue and could be addressed by simply throwing the dark cloth over the bellows before removing the dark slide. Hence I wonder if you were notified in the listing about the issue that you bring to our attention. I suspect not-either intentionally or from ignorance-or both.

It's funny how many sellers state that their KMV for sale is "mint with the original bellows"....probably without fully understanding how the camera really "works". It would be hard to imagine the seller of your camera NOT seeing the same issue that you have identified.

If Michael states that the issue is more difficult to address then I would consider returning the camera. At least consider informing the seller about the issue immediately so that the seller cannot claim that you failed to tell him/her of any issues. I would hope that the issue can be dealt with for the KMV is a wonderful camera to use in the field. Hardly pretty to look at, but quick and easy to set up and take down, and the camaera has more then enough bellows draw and movements. As others have stated, original bellows will almost certainly ahve to be replaced and there are other small issues to deal with. Hopefully your issue will be readily solved....indeed, your plan seems quite reasonable. However, don't attempt anything until you have notified the seller!!
    Please keep us informed.

I have also forwarded your question about the radial travel to some other members of APUG who are engineers and thus might have some further advice.

Elliot

Shooter
    Large Format
    Elliot,

Thank you for your help. I have notified the seller and he has responded. I don't detect any problem with returning the camera. This is my first venture into the 8x10 format. Standing by...

- Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Mahler_one View Post
    I have also forwarded your question about the radial travel to some other members of APUG who are engineers and thus might have some further advice.

Elliot

It is reassuring to know that the seller appears to be willing honor the return guarantee. Hopefully we will still hear from Michael or one of the others who might be able to help.

Is there a machine shop near you? If so it might make some sense to show the camera to the machinists, and demonstrate the issue you identified to someone at the shop. They might be able to offer a relatively quick and effective solution that would not be too costly. Again, your solution might also work. However, before doing anything to the camera, take some photos of the camera as you receive it and be assured that the seller agrees with any modifications that you are planning to complete.

Happy to be of any small help. I hope that the camera can be returned to good order, and that you can use your KMV for many years to come.

Incidentally, there are very few sources from which one can purchase lens boards for the KMV. Michael and Paula provide what are probably the best KMV lens boards currently available. You can contact them directly.

Don't give up quite yet...and of course, there are alternatives to the KMV.....:}

I believe Michael will be contacting you privately. However, is photo accessed via the link where the problem is?

<The problem stems from the brass track system the rear standard rides in. There has been enough wear to allow some wiggle that I would prefer were not there. Here is a photo showing the pieces in question. This is the right side, the left side is simply a mirror image.

http://flic.kr/p/dRg9f8>

These two parts either need to be replaced NOS, recreated altogether, or new brass needs to be brazed on to the existing parts and then milled back to shape.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I believe Michael will be contacting you privately. However, is photo accessed via the link where the problem is?

<The problem stems from the brass track system the rear standard rides in. There has been enough wear to allow some wiggle that I would prefer were not there. Here is a photo showing the pieces in question. This is the right side, the left side is simply a mirror image.

http://flic.kr/p/dRg9f8>

These two parts either need to be replaced NOS, recreated altogether, or new brass needs to be brazed on to the existing parts and then milled back to shape.
    Michael did contact me - thank you for that.

Upon re-evaluation I now have noticed that most of the front standard's play is originating from the sliding of the inner bed extension inside the outer bed extension.

As for the rear standard, some of its play does originate from the tracking system it rides in; and some from the area that it pivots on.

Can you describe what function the control near the end of the bed performs - I cannot detect any change when this control is tightened or loosened. I'm still able to pull the bed out if I manually release the spring metal clip, no matter the setting of this control.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kmvknobexample.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	140.3 KB 
ID:	66107

OK.....I think I understand what you are saying. With reference to the front movements: Note that the "inner tracks" will slide within the "outer tracks" when the clip is depressed... the knob that you allude to in the photograph will not affect that movement....take a look at the following review:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...asterview.html

Note the reference to a "trombone" type of situation.

Are you saying that the front knurled knob has no "purchase" when you tighten it?

By the way, judging from photos, you might also benefit from installing some thin cork sheeting on the metal edges of the piece that holds the lens boards and which is moved to supply axis tilt. Although the cork is not absolutely necessary, many here have installed such cork and I believe the axis tilt mechanism does work much better when the cork provides the added friction

Perhaps others on the thread will chime in as well?

Ari

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Noparking, you might find this thread helpful:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...908#post987908

Shooter
    Large Format
    OK.....I think I understand what you are saying. With reference to the front movements: Note that the "inner tracks" will slide within the "outer tracks" when the clip is depressed... the knob that you allude to in the photograph will not affect that movement....take a look at the following review:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...asterview.html

Note the reference to a "trombone" type of situation.

Are you saying that the front knurled knob has no "purchase" when you tighten it?

By the way, judging from photos, you might also benefit from installing some thin cork sheeting on the metal edges of the piece that holds the lens boards and which is moved to supply axis tilt. Although the cork is not absolutely necessary, many here have installed such cork and I believe the axis tilt mechanism does work much better when the cork provides the added friction

Perhaps others on the thread will chime in as well?
    Thank you for this reference.

My mistake was not pulling out all the tracks. The knob was definitely coming to a stop, I just couldn't determine what its purpose is. The bottom line is that is locks/releases the outer movable track.

This camera is missing its handle and attachment brackets; are there any sources for obtaining the original type hardware?

Happy to be of any help.

Regarding the handle and bracket: I hope that the price was really "right" for the camera and that you have no other issues ( see below ).

I suspect that obtaining the original parts would be difficult to impossible. A few years ago I tried to reach an appropriate person at Kodak in hopes that there might have been some boxes with parts for the KMV in some storage area or back room. No luck in finding anyone who might have been able to help.

However, all is not lost. Ari ( above ) graciously sent me a PDF of the parts list for the KMV. There is a template one can use in order to actually make a new leather handle. Moreover, I think it likely that a machine shop can easily make the attachment brackets. I suspect that Ari would forward the material to you as well-or, if OK with him, I can easily send you the PDF. Simply send me a PM with your personal email address.

I hate to ask, but I wonder: Have you extended the bellows to the maximum and checked for pin holes? New bellows are available, but can be costly.

Let's see if we can get you up and running and into the field taking photos!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin