Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,144   Online: 1012

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Instant Films

4x5 Polaroid Pack Film vs 4x5 Polaroid Sheets

Hoping to get some insight into I should try my hand at 4x5 pack or 4x5 polaroid sheet film. Any personal opinions are much appreciated. I'm also going to weigh in cost vs access to stock and ease of shooting on either 'format'.

Thanks all!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    As far as I know the only instant film now is from Fuji and you will need the correct film holder. I believe they have film packs but I'm not sure instant sheet film is still around. If it is it requires a different holder than the packs. No doubt a victim of digital. Old Polaroid film if you find it probably is no longer good.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    At the moment neither pack nor sheet 4x5 instant film is in production. There are dwindling stocks of Fuji pack 4x5 colour (FP-100C45) and B&W (FP-3000B45) instant film - EI 100 and 3000 respectively. The smaller 3¼ by 4¼ (8.5 cm x 10.8 cm) pack instant film equivalents are still in production by Fuji (FP-100C and FP-3000B). This size can be used in many types of holder, such as the Fuji PA-145 for 4x5 Graflok and some spring backs.

Oops, sorry. I just read one of your other posts, and you already know all that.

The FP-100C45 is very good stuff, for instant colour film. FP-3000B45 doesn't have the density range or the dynamic range of the slower FP-100B45, which is still available here and there but in very short supply now. I quite like the FP-3000B.

Here's a shot taken on FP-100C45:

Best,
    Helen
    Last edited by Helen B; 06-07-2012 at 03:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Helen, glad to know the 3.25x4.25 are still in production. One of your competitors lists it as "temporarily out of stock" but they have short dated film, and another lists it only as a "short dated special" both expiring 9/2012. I was getting concerned Fuji had dropped the FP-100c in the smaller size too, just after I got a 405 back and have shot less than one pack of it!

Shooter
    Multi Format

Don't forget the Impossible Project !

Quote Originally Posted by briancmo View Post
    Hoping to get some insight into I should try my hand at 4x5 pack or 4x5 polaroid sheet film. Any personal opinions are much appreciated. I'm also going to weigh in cost vs access to stock and ease of shooting on either 'format'.

Thanks all!
    Eventually the Impossible Project will get around to it.
    They're bringing back Type 55, with a companion clearing bucket...
    http://the-impossible-project.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can still get Polaroid Type 55 on fleabay but it's pricey and may or may not work since they are all expired. But I got lucky a few times there and also inherited a big stack of them from a friend and loved the results. The negatives are incredible and if you use them wisely worth the price IMO. And since when do photographers care about expiration dates on film anyway? I'll keep getting the old 55 until there is no more and hopefully by then the impossible project will have their own version of it.
    Aleksandra Miesak

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." - Dorothea Lange

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Impossible Project is at least aptly named. Don't hold your breath and even if it does come out you'll be glad you held some breath because the price will take it away.

Expired a year is one thing, several years is another, and Polaroid film can't be frozen either.

It is possible to recover the negative from Fuji instant materials and apparently isn't all that hard though definitely more practical in a studio kind of setting.

Shooter
    35mm
    Just to clarify, the New55 project is the group spearheading a T55 replacement (not exactly the same - at this point they're developing an instant film using currently available lower-speed fine-grained films, not duplicating T55's film stock directly). I follow them, the 20x24 Studio (who bought Polaroid's 20x24 film production equipment out of the bankruptcy, and have started producing more 20x24 film for themselves), and the Impossible Project (who is focused on producing the smaller format integral instant film right now, but they did purchase Polaroid's 8x10 film manufacturing equipment out of the bankruptcy) on Facebook.

It's interesting to see them collaborate together - New55 recently tested some 8x10 stuff with the 20x24 Studio, and I think both New55 and 20x24 Studio have had visits from and an open dialogue with the Impossible Project engineers in the Netherlands. Since the former Polaroid engineers are spread far and wide now, this dialogue is a very good thing.

As an aside, I can't find the source article right now, but from what I recall the company that bought Polaroid's Waltham, Mass. factory also bought the 4x5 production equipment and re-purposed it to produce some kind of sheet-film-based solar panels - so re-using Polaroid's 4x5 equipment isn't an option for a T55 replacement.
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Expired a year is one thing, several years is another, and Polaroid film can't be frozen either.
    I've used 2008 and 2006 stock type 55 and it worked great for me. But hey, if I'm the only one liking it and willing to give the expired stuff a shot then that's even better for me. I might as well start saying it's god awful just so you all stay away from it
    Aleksandra Miesak

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." - Dorothea Lange

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Recovering negs from FP100C is easy, even in the field. Just let the neg dry, then bring home an remove the backing (remjet-type material) with bleach.

FP100c 45 is getting pretty hard to find now though. I recently got 6 boxes of it but even that much was pretty tough to come by.

-Ed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin