Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,705   Posts: 1,482,802   Online: 1074

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Kodak Ektar f7.7 203mm help needed

Hi,

Im new to this and just bought my first LF camera. It came with a Kodak Ektar f7.7 203mm on a Supermatic shutter and after searching almost everywhere I was wondering about two functions on the shutter (marked in red).
    What do they do? The button is marked with an X on the back..

I read somewhere if I want x-sync it has to be set to F and with some easy modification I can turn it into X? How easy is it? Also read that set to F and fired with electronic flash the flash would be 1/3 to 1/2 stop down. Correct?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skjermbilde 2012-06-12 kl. 22.49.06.png 
Views:	96 
Size:	877.1 KB 
ID:	52421Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skjermbilde 2012-06-12 kl. 22.49.37.png 
Views:	98 
Size:	749.6 KB 
ID:	52422

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I believe it will fire on X-sync regardless of the M or F setting as long as you don't slide the other lever you've marked before firing the shutter. That lever engages the flash delay mechanism, which will be M or F depending on how the M/F slider is set.
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

"If I had a nickel for every time I had to replace a camera battery, I'd be able to get the #@%&$ battery cover off!" -Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is the rear lens cell missing?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The button is supposed to open the shutter even if its set to a speed other than B or T, for quick focusing.
    There is a similar button on some Wollensak Raptars.
    This does not work on the one Supermatic I've got though.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    yes. If this is the way you received this lens take it back and get the rest, or your money back. This is NOT a complete lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by luisalegria View Post
    The button is supposed to open the shutter even if its set to a speed other than B or T, for quick focusing.
    There is a similar button on some Wollensak Raptars.
    This does not work on the one Supermatic I've got though.
    That may be because you're not using the press focus button properly. To use it, cock the shutter and then trip the shutter while holding the button in. To close the shutter, cock and trip again.

I have the same question as broken-down-not-very-old man. Where's the rear cell?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    Sure is.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the info guys. Really helpful! now I just need a bipost to female hot shoe and I´ll be all set for x-sync studio photography.

The lens however is not missing its rear lens cell, I took this picture just after I removing it from the lens board

The flash delay level is somewhat stuck in "x-sync" and the shutter is slow on low speeds. I read that there is someone who does repair on shutters like this?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you want to use the lens soon, or finding a repair-person is difficult or too expensive, try just exercising the shutter by firing it a hundred times or so (seriously). The amount of "fix" this is sometimes capable of effecting amazes me. If, after a hundred or so shots, the speeds remain seriously slow or erratic, have it cleaned. Another quick fix is a hair dryer. Try a little moderate heat on the shutter during an exercise session. It's an old repairman's trick that sometimes works. I have heard three or four reasons why it works; none is completely believable, but it does seem to help at times.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The button is used to hod the shutter open for focusing. Cock the shutter and press the button while also releasing the shutter. The shutter will stay open you close it by cocking it again.

The lever cocks the flash synchronization gear train. For flashbulbs, you cock the shutter, then cock the synchronization, then release the shutter. Without flash or for X sync, just ignore it (making sure it is all the way to the left as you face the lens).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin