Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,628   Online: 721

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here you're wrong the 203mm (8") Ektar "retains it's correction to a high degree when used for extreme close-ups", Kodak's words not mine. Dialytes seem to be fairly unique in this respect. My recent results indicate this is probably true.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, but the G-Claron is optimized for close-up images while the 203 Ektar is optimized for at or near infinity. Both work well either way but neither are optimized for both.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Fujinon A is optimized for 1:1 like the G-Claron and is multicoated, if the single-coating is what's steering you away from the G. Similarly 180mm will get you to 8x10 at 1:1 and the 240 will cover 8x10.

Costs a lot more than the G-Claron, though.

I've used a 159mm Wollensak "yellow dot" WA Velostigmat for 1:1 and I enjoy the "look" in particular with warmtone papers, but it depends a lot on the subject (I was shooting marine specimens and the Wolly WA Velo was "the bomb" IMHO)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 7-1/2" (190mm) Ilex Acuton is supposed to be quite good up to, I think, half life-size per posts by Lynn Jones on the Large Format Photography Forum. Lynn was involved with Ilex at the time they were designed and produced. I have one kicking around here - way too many 180s and 210s - but have never tried it for macro. They show up occasionally on eBay in the $150 range, though the 215 in Ilex shutter is much more common.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I was surprised it took 14 answers before anyone mentioned the gorgeous little Fujinon 180mm f9A lens! And yes, I'd look to the 203 Ektar, coated, next. A 210mm Schneider Repro Claron, not necessarily the G-Claron, would be worth a 3rd slot.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I too am looking for a lens for an 8x10 camera where I can take small objects and get a size on film up to 3 x size of object. I have a 210mm but am open to other lenses. I would also like to know what lens would be optimal or made for this purpose and where would I source one to find pricing.

I have hundreds of objects about 1-3 inches in height that I would like to see large on 8x10 sheet film.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan.K View Post
    I wanted a 180mm for close up work on a copy stand. It may not always be macro work, but all will be done at much close than infinity. I can not afford a 180 specifically designed for macro, so I was wondering which 180mm would work best for close up work. I believe I also would want it to be multicoated as the lights I am using are bright and often at either side of the lens..... if someone thinks a single coated lens would not be affected by such a lighting situation please feel to let me know and I may feel good about getting a g-claron. I am also considering a 210mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bob, there's a rule of thumb to the effect of "the higher the magnification, the shorter the lens." This because, for a given focal length the higher the magnification, the more extension needed. How much ya got?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post

I have hundreds of objects about 1-3 inches in height that I would like to see large on 8x10 sheet film.

4 racers

Made with a 9" petzval type. My strange depth of field requirements are not the norm, nor for everybody, but just to point out that with this type of photography bellows extension and stability is really more the problem to solve than which lens. In this case I've used an ancient studio camera with 8X10 back (this may have actually been 5X7!) and a rolling stand with table top for the camera. Stable stable stable, and 36" of bellows to play with, that will not sag.

I also always tell people to start with the ordinary 150mm Componon that's already on the enlarger. Turn it around backwards. Yes, matilda, at the extensions you'll need for 3X it'll cover 8X10 very nicely, and it'll be operating within it's design parameters.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I have 36 inch of workable bellows ... I am using an old century camera with no shutter, its light tight as I have gone through a few boxes of film as late as last sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Bob, there's a rule of thumb to the effect of "the higher the magnification, the shorter the lens." This because, for a given focal length the higher the magnification, the more extension needed. How much ya got?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin