Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,500   Online: 948

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

a 180mm lens that would make an awesome macro lens for 8x10

I am looking for an 180mm lens that would work well as a macro/ close up lens for 8x10. I know there are dedicated macro lenses, however their prices are beyond the range I wold like to spend. This for some copy stand work. Thanks in advance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    An 180mm enlarger lens would be a good option a Componon should fit in a shutter, not sure what size though. schneider sold Componons as Macro lenses at one time.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The G-Claron is optimized for 1:1 and a 180 will cover 8x10 at that magnification. If you're willing to go up to a 210 or 240 it'll cover at infinity as well. Cheap, small, and light, and they fit in shutters!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Take this with a grain of salt cause I'm going off purely anecdotal evidence, but how about a Schneider-Kreuznach 180mm Symmar convertible?

I've heard that this symmetrical and relatively simple design keeps a very flat field and I'm guessing(?) it might cover 8x10" at macro. It's suggested for 5x7" as a normal lens.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    Take this with a grain of salt cause I'm going off purely anecdotal evidence, but how about a Schneider-Kreuznach 180mm Symmar convertible?

I've heard that this symmetrical and relatively simple design keeps a very flat field and I'm guessing(?) it might cover 8x10" at macro. It's suggested for 5x7" as a normal lens.
    Not symmetrical, no simpler than any other 6/4 plasmat, and not particularly good close up.

The OP asked an unanswerable question and ran away. Unanswerable because without knowing the range of magnifications he wants to work at we can't know how much coverage is needed. He didn't even say why he wanted a 180.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Not symmetrical, no simpler than any other 6/4 plasmat, and not particularly good close up.

The OP asked an unanswerable question and ran away. Unanswerable because without knowing the range of magnifications he wants to work at we can't know how much coverage is needed. He didn't even say why he wanted a 180.
    There you go; salty.

I forget where I read this, but I recall that these old Symmars are good for copy work; a poor man's process lens. That's why I thought it may perhaps be good for marcro.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I wanted a 180mm for close up work on a copy stand. It may not always be macro work, but all will be done at much close than infinity. I can not afford a 180 specifically designed for macro, so I was wondering which 180mm would work best for close up work. I believe I also would want it to be multicoated as the lights I am using are bright and often at either side of the lens..... if someone thinks a single coated lens would not be affected by such a lighting situation please feel to let me know and I may feel good about getting a g-claron. I am also considering a 210mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tessar lenses are OK for close up work, and you can get good 180mm or 210mm Xenars for very reasonable prices. I wouldn't be too worried about multicoating, just use a good lens hood and shield the lighting if your worried. I used a 150mm Xenar at work on a copy camera in the late 70's & 80's and it gave excellent results.

Another option, probably the most suitable on a budget, is the 203mm (8") f7.7 Ektar, as it's a Dialyte it's excellent at all distances including extreme close-ups (according to Kodak literature) and again inexpensive these days many people rate them very highly. The later versions have deeper coatings. Kodak made these lenses in Rochester as well as the UK, the British version was sold in an Epsilon/Prontor/Comur #0 shutter, the US ones in Supermatics which aren't compatible to other shutters.

I have a 203mm Ektar and it is very sharp even close up, mine's remarkable well coated.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually, the 203mm Ektar seems to have become something of a collectors item over here in the USA. If you looked around, you used to be able to get one for $50, now I see them going for $400+. At that price there are a lot of cheaper options.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    True about the 203mm Ektar but deals are still available. And... it's not "optimized" for 1:1 but infinity. You might be comparing the 210mm G-Glaron (optimized for close work) with the 203mm Ektar... among many other popular older dialyte designs also optimized for close work. IMO, the Kodak Ektar kicks a$$ for landscape work. The 203 Ektar is actually sharpest wide open at infinity whilst the G-Claron must be stopped down to f/16 or smaller. Think about that for just one moment...
    Last edited by Old-N-Feeble; 06-23-2012 at 03:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin