Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,493   Online: 913

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is a Graflok back. The film back seems to fit securely and snug, minus its ability to shift out on the left side.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics. I was being lazy :/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo 3.jpg   photo 2.JPG   photo 1.jpg  
    ~ Michelle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That roll film holder looks it's intended for a graflex back, not a graflok, as greywolf suggested. It seems to have a slot, rather than a groove.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have both flavors of Graflex-made roll holder, for Graflok and Graflex backs. Erik and greywolf are right. That's a roll holder made to fit a Graflex SLR.

Interestingly, early 120 film roll holders for 2x3 and possibly larger Graflexes have both the slot and the groove, will fit both Graflex and Graflok backs. I have one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Okay so I just realized that this thing came with instructions!!

But I'm still confused.

"GRAFLEX ROLL FILM HOLDER INSTRUCTIONS

The roll film holders can be attacked to Graflex or Graflok backs. To fit to the Graflok back, a Graphic Roll Holder is required..."

What is a Graphic Roll Holder? Isn't that what I'm trying to attach? One needs a Graphic Roll Holder to fit a Graphic Roll Holder? Wha!?
    ~ Michelle

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    sometimes people sell things that look like they go together but don't ...
    or they sell things that are loose and wobbly ( and the seller has no clue ) ...

does the roll back seats the way it is supposed to, the light dam/protruding groove slides into its counterpart on the back of your camera ..
    without the tabs slid over when you put the roll back on, does it stick out funny or is it flush?
    you say it is loose slide the chrome tabs over secure the back to your camera but it seems like it will fall off the back of your camera ...
    are the chrome tabs loose, and need to be tightened ?
    if your roll back seats too low in the camera maybe your sliding tabs aren't really holding it snug.
    my roll backs have a protruding edge that the sliders grab onto ...
    you can build up thickness by putting a plastic stirrer or something on the edge under a piece of tape. it might add thickness to the edge
    so your chrome sliders can grab the back and keep it on the back of your camera ...
    Last edited by jnanian; 07-01-2012 at 10:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    sometimes people sell things that look like they go together but don't ...
    or they sell things that are loose and wobbly ( and the seller has no clue ) ...

does the roll back seats the way it is supposed to, the light dam/protruding groove slides into its counterpart on the back of your camera ..
    without the tabs slid over when you put the roll back on, does it stick out funny or is it flush?
    you say it is loose slide the chrome tabs over secure the back to your camera but it seems like it will fall off the back of your camera ...
    are the chrome tabs loose, and need to be tightened ?
    if your roll back seats too low in the camera maybe your sliding tabs aren't really holding it snug.
    my roll backs have a protruding edge that the sliders grab onto ...
    you can build up thickness by putting a plastic stirrer or something on the edge under a piece of tape. it might add thickness to the edge
    so your chrome sliders can grab the back and keep it on the back of your camera ...
    This is the strange thing... it seems to fit perfectly.... *almost.* It is very snug, seats well, fits properly, light-sealing lips all line up, and the instruction booklet says that it s a Graflok back - but theres just this one quirk of nothing holding it from being pushed off to the right.
    ~ Michelle

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mfratt View Post
    This is the strange thing... it seems to fit perfectly.... *almost.* It is very snug, seats well, fits properly, light-sealing lips all line up, and the instruction booklet says that it s a Graflok back - but theres just this one quirk of nothing holding it from being pushed off to the right.
    does the roll holder fall off the camera if you tip it to the side when you have it attached, or when you remove the darkslide ?

are you still in boston for the summer ?

- john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    does the roll holder fall off the camera if you tip it to the side when you have it attached, or when you remove the darkslide ?

are you still in boston for the summer ?

- john
    It won't fall off just due to gravity, and I can even pull the dark slide without pulling the back off - but its not secured. I can see the biggest problem it would cause is working handheld without the external grip, as the palm of my left hand inevitably pushes the back off.

Yes, I'm here for the summer.
    ~ Michelle

Shooter
    35mm
    See http://lommen9.home.xs4all.nl/holders/index.html for clarification about the different back types.

Note the comment under '120 Roll Film Holder' - "These newer roll holders are made for film which is thinner than the older film. The new Rapid Vance Roll Holder have extra guide rollers to hold this thinner film pressed against the film gate." I ran into this problem about 1960 and the company came out with a spring modification kit to hold the (then) newer films flat. There may still be unmodified backs around.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mfratt View Post
    Okay so I just realized that this thing came with instructions!!

But I'm still confused.

"GRAFLEX ROLL FILM HOLDER INSTRUCTIONS

The roll film holders can be attacked to Graflex or Graflok backs. To fit to the Graflok back, a Graphic Roll Holder is required..."

What is a Graphic Roll Holder? Isn't that what I'm trying to attach? One needs a Graphic Roll Holder to fit a Graphic Roll Holder? Wha!?
    Hi,

The problem you are having is a compatibility issue between two types of backs made for Graflex cameras. Your camera and holder don't match.

Could you please post a couple of photos of the other side of that roll film back? It should not have "Graphic" printed on it as it is NOT a Graphic holder, but a GRAFLEX holder. It will not attach securely to your camera as it was designed for the 2x3 RB Graflex SLR camera, not the Speed or Crown Graphics and the locking mechanism is different. You have to be very careful about which roll film holder you buy for a camera made by Graflex. There are two main types of backs for Graflex cameras. There is the Graphic back, of which the Graflok back is a later variant, and there is the older Graflex back, which is quite different. You also need to know what size camera the back is for, since roll film backs are also available for the bigger cameras and they share many common parts with the smaller backs. This has caused much confusion in the past and will undoubtedly continue well into the future. I would strongly suggest going to graflex.org and reading everything you can find about the various roll film backs that Graflex made.

BTW, if you should decide to sell the roll film back, I would be interested in discussing the possibility of purchasing it from you, via pm.

Mke
    Last edited by Zathras; 07-02-2012 at 12:57 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    When the chips are down,

The buffalo is empty!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin