Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,703   Posts: 1,482,680   Online: 783

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Its a 23 Graflex back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_7468.jpg   DSC_7469.jpg   DSC_7470.jpg   DSC_7471.jpg  
    ~ Michelle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mfratt View Post
    Its a 23 Graflex back.
    There's the problem. GRAFLOK back on the camera, and a holder made for cameras with a GRAFLEX back. Did you buy the camera and roll back together?
    When the chips are down,

The buffalo is empty!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
    There's the problem. GRAFLOK back on the camera, and a holder made for cameras with a GRAFLEX back. Did you buy the camera and roll back together?
    Yes, they came together.

Honestly, I'll probably just make due. I'll just have to be careful while using it, and restrain myself to using my Vivitar pistol grip while working handheld with the back on. I'd try to find the proper back, but I was having a hard time finding the newer style backs with 6x9 openings. Most of them seemed to be 6x7. And they cost half of what I paid for this whole outfit.
    ~ Michelle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yes, I'm here for the summer.
    why don't you go to MASSART or EP LEVINES or one of the other photo schools in boston ( AIB / SMFA / NESOP )
    and ask someone there who may be familiar with roll backs+graflock backs to take a look at your camera &C ...
    i am south of you about 1.5 hours, i'd be happy to meet with you
    someplace random to take a look at your camera ( and bring my speed for comparison )
    but i don't travel light these days ( i have 3 assistants i have to bring with me everywhere ) .. so it might be tricky ...

i have a feeling the back mates fine with your camera, the sliders attach to the back fine, but you aren't used to the
    3rd side not being attached, so it seems-like something is wrong because all the other cameras you have used the back attaches
    on all 4 sides.

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    John, the problem has been diagnosed correctly. The OP has a roll holder made to attach to a Graflex (as in SLR back) and a camera with a Graflok back.

I just replicated it with a "23" Graflex -- so marked -- back and a 2x3 Crown Graphic that has a Graflok back.

The solution is to buy a "23" Graphic -- so marked -- roll holder or an RH-8 roll holder to fit a 2x3 Graphic. With patience, one can be bought through eBay for a reasonable price.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    John, the problem has been diagnosed correctly. The OP has a roll holder made to attach to a Graflex (as in SLR back) and a camera with a Graflok back.

I just replicated it with a "23" Graflex -- so marked -- back and a 2x3 Crown Graphic that has a Graflok back.

The solution is to buy a "23" Graphic -- so marked -- roll holder or an RH-8 roll holder to fit a 2x3 Graphic. With patience, one can be bought through eBay for a reasonable price.
    thanks dan

i have a hard time threads like this sometimes,
    because once in a while 3 or 4 diagnoses are made,
    and they all sound good

i think what threw me for a loop was the mentioning
    that there was a back ( similar to this one ) that worked
    on both an slr and graflock system

- john ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i think what threw me for a loop was the mentioning
    that there was a back ( similar to this one ) that worked
    on both an slr and graflock system

- john ...
    There is such a back. I have one.

See http://www.graflex.org/helpboard/vie...ghlight=hybrid

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    why don't you go to MASSART or EP LEVINES or one of the other photo schools in boston ( AIB / SMFA / NESOP )
    and ask someone there who may be familiar with roll backs+graflock backs to take a look at your camera &C ...
    i am south of you about 1.5 hours, i'd be happy to meet with you
    someplace random to take a look at your camera ( and bring my speed for comparison )
    but i don't travel light these days ( i have 3 assistants i have to bring with me everywhere ) .. so it might be tricky ...
    Haha, I GO to MassArt
    Problem is, I'm the one people usually come to when they're scratching they heads over cameras
    Oh and the entire photo lab is torn apart right now for renovations. More digital labs

But yea shoot me a message if you'll be in Boston.
    ~ Michelle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is a Graflok back. The film back seems to fit securely and snug, minus its ability to shift out on the left side.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics. I was being lazy :/
    As I thought, the roll film holder in your photo is for the Graflex camera back. The Graflex back was on the SLR's and some of the older Graphics (pre-anniversary models, I think). Note the vertical groove in both the camera and the roll film holder. The proper holder has a vertical ridge instead of the groove.

As I mentioned if you and slip in something that will engage both grooves, you should be able to use the roll film holder on your camera, but that is a bit of a kludge. Oops

Added: Sorry, I believe the grooves are on the opposite ends so you can not actually fit something between the grooves. I am not even sure the backs have the same film registar distance.

The problem comes because over the years Graflex (the company) made cameras with three different backs. The Graphic (spring) back which is held in place by screws. The Graflex back which was similar to the later Graflok back but different (this is what your film holder is for), and the Graflok (also called and International or Universal back).

Glaflex and Graphic film holders usually sell for 1/2 or less what Graflok film holders do. The reason for that is because most reasonably modern large format cameras can use the Graflok film holders.

From the photos, your camera very definitely has a Graflok back. That is good because some of the earliest Pacemaker 23 cameras did not. All the other Pacemaker Graphics came with the Graflok back. While the later lever wind roll holders are all Graflok as far as I know, knob wind backs may be any of the three so you have to be careful about what you buy.
    Last edited by graywolf; 07-03-2012 at 11:41 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin