Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,515   Posts: 1,543,719   Online: 887

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Moving to 4x5

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Way View Post
    BTZS Tubes are a huge step up from tray developing (though you'll still be tray fixing) and can be done mostly in the light. I will never tray develop again. You get 6 tubes and a large tray/tank you float the tubes in and rotate them with your fingertips. Works actually very well and much faster to handle than using the Jobo 4x5 reels (loading the reels fully - with 6 sheets per reel - is problematic for a lot of people)
    I'm not knocking the BTZS system. It does look quite workable and a big step up from trays, at least in ease. But loading the Jobo 2901n reels is trivially easy. Much, MUCH easier than loading any 35mm or 120 reel I've ever loaded. I use Jobo for roll film too and find them the easiest to load I've ever used, but the 4x5 is easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    Everyone seems to have their favorite method for developing their film. I use the Jobo system for my 4x5 film because I have 3 reels and can develop up to 12 frames at one time. But loading film in the reels is a bit tedious and you have to be careful not to cross load in the slots. That is not a problem with BTZS tubes, loading them is super simple. One sheet of film rolled and slid into one tube. Cap it and you are loaded. I use the BTZS tubes for my 8x10 film and they certainly are convenient.
    Are you folks who find loading the sheets into the Jobo 2509(n) reels difficult or tedious using the 2508 loader base and film guide? I've read other people saying they used it once and quit, that loading by hand was just as easy, but I find mine quite difficult to load without it and a piece of cake with it. I like it so much, with them discontinued, I bought a spare. Actually that's not really true, I got a second in a package deal with some tanks I bought, but I'm hanging on to both of them.

Maybe it's just me but I find it extremely easy to load using the loader base. A tad slower maybe but not much and that's more than a welcome trade off since it's so easy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With practice I find the 2509 reel using the 2508 loader base a breeze. Tedious the first few times but really no more difficult in the end that it took me to get even a basic 35mm film reel loaded my first time as a 13 year old!
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    With practice I find the 2509 reel using the 2508 loader base a breeze. Tedious the first few times but really no more difficult in the end that it took me to get even a basic 35mm film reel loaded my first time as a 13 year old!
    I agree. Curve the film slightly along the long axis as you guide it in. Use your other hand to make sure it doesn't jump the guides on the reel. After loading, gently feel the ends to make sure all sheets are in different slots. Very easy. Not quite as easy, I imagine, as plopping sheets into an Expert drum or BTZS tube, but if you can load a 35mm reel you can certainly load the 2509n with the loader base. Probably without it too but it was easier with it so I gave up practicing without it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use the 2509/2508. I haven't used it a lot, but I find it to be pretty simple as long as I remember to use my left hand to ensure that the film has made the transition from the loading slot to the actual reel. I can fill the reel with sheets in not much more than a minute when things are going well.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use the Jobo 3010 Expert Tank to process up to ten 4"x5" negatives at a time. The results are always great.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At the risk of disagreeing with some, I admit to liking HP CombiPlan tanks for smaller volumes of 4x5. The only time when I had issues with sheets slipping was when I still had the unnecessary blue shims installed. As soon as I got rid of the blue shims (apparently included by mistake by the factory) even very vigorous 5 inversions across two planes in 5 seconds, every 30 sec, works well for me. Even tested violent shaking in all directions for 30s to 1min with HP5+ and FP4, successfully, though TMax 100 slipped a notch in that test. What helps is to make sure the retainer is on properly, not pressing on top of the sheets too hard, not loose either. I push it on, then relax it and let it find it's own position.

They are a bit slow to empty, 23 seconds, but I'm getting even development for 8+ mins dev durations. Get your hands on one before they disappear, as they have been, sadly, just discontinued... Alternatively, the Jobo Experts are super. And a new CPP-3 processor is on its way later this year, but at a price.
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I only add this: Be very careful if you buy or obtain LF film in the UK. i.e. we use 4x5 but they use 5x4.
    No wonder I could not get that English film to load in my film holders.
    Now I'll have to track down some English film holders.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mwdake View Post
    Look for the taller ones.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mwdake View Post
    Just turn it sideways. It works fine if you load it sideways.

The HP Combi-plan has been discontinued, BTW. There's a thread about it by Bob S. from HP over on the Large Format Photography Forum. There may still be some available though, plus used ones. Jobo stuff is (maybe temporarily as they are supposed to be bringing back an improved processor) discontinued too but easy enough to find with some looking.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Jobo stuff is (maybe temporarily as they are supposed to be bringing back an improved processor) discontinued too but easy enough to find with some looking.
    Wow, really? Amazing. And I thought the company and product line bit the dust. I wonder if they get going again if they will continue to supply parts for their previous incantations.
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin