Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,944   Posts: 1,585,781   Online: 1035

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Moving to 4x5

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I must have blew through 60 sheets of 4x5 before I employed most of the rigorous dust control tips offered here and cut out the BS and bought a 3010 Expert Drum for my previously unused & donated Jobo CPP2. Unless I am running a couple rolls of 35 or 120, I use the Jobo for everything. No dislodged Rollei IR, no streaks, no pitting, no BS.

With good black and white 4x5 sheet film costing between $1-2 per sheet, I need 100% consistency and the only way I have gotten that is with an Expert Drum. But it was the nasty dust issues that had me seriously thinking of dumping the format. Ruthless control methods have helped out quite a bit and I now feel that I get the pro results I need.

Mod54 has an updated version of their popular Paterson tank insert available that has improvements in regards to both loading and build quality. I have one left and while I think they are a great solution to those of us who have no way of tray souping, the problem I ran into was films with really thin base material like Rollei IR 400 coming dislodged and getting ruined. They also use 2-4X more chemistry than other methods.
    Last edited by PKM-25; 07-05-2012 at 12:39 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    I must have blew through 60 sheets of 4x5 before I employed most of the rigorous dust control tips offered here and cut out the BS and bought a 3010 Expert Drum for my previously unused & donated Jobo CPP2. Unless I am running a couple rolls of 35 or 120, I use the Jobo for everything. No dislodged Rollei IR, no streaks, no pitting, no BS.
    The Jobo 3010 Expert Drum is worth much more than the cost.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A friend brought me Mod54 processor as i told him, he travels to London or UK more often or alot because he is from Liverpool, so when he was there last 2 weeks he ordered it for me to be shipped free to his place there, and just today i've got it from him, he is my best friend, and now i have something to use to shoot more LF, i hate trays method and BTZS is nice but i feel it is similar to trays and spinning in trays is not so lovely action, HP Combi Plan, well, i have a feeling it may do the job but will see some issues, i keep it for backup or emergency.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK just to let you know I have had none to very little knowledge about LF cameras. Film...Loads of experience so that part I have that covered. I have an opportunity to get a 4" x 5" camera. It is the Press King. It was made in Canada so I suppose there is not a lot of them circulating. I have been wanting to make the step to LF for some time. The lens on the camera is not that spectacular but I think I can use it until I can upgrade to better glass. I have included a few pictures for the back of the camera. What I was wondering is there a film holder that would work on this camera ? Maybe it is one of those that are rarer than hens teeth ? It is a RB so that kind of helps for positioning etc. The GG has a chip in the corner but I can live with that until better times and $$$$. The bellows look fine. Would this be a wise purchase or just a obsolete door stop not worth restoring. Pre-Thanks for your comments Dennis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5L55K15H53m53J53N8c7570093f2d0de4149b.jpg   5L45P55M13E53Id3H9c756871934326dd198a.jpg   IMG_1856.jpg   IMG_1848.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Dennis:

This APUG thread has a little info: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum44/2...ng-camera.html
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very little anywhere on this. Found a lot of info on the range finder.
    Last edited by dances_w_clouds; 07-07-2012 at 02:46 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dances_w_clouds View Post
    OK just to let you know I have had none to very little knowledge about LF cameras. Film...Loads of experience so that part I have that covered. I have an opportunity to get a 4" x 5" camera. It is the Press King. It was made in Canada so I suppose there is not a lot of them circulating. I have been wanting to make the step to LF for some time. The lens on the camera is not that spectacular but I think I can use it until I can upgrade to better glass. I have included a few pictures for the back of the camera. What I was wondering is there a film holder that would work on this camera ? Maybe it is one of those that are rarer than hens teeth ? It is a RB so that kind of helps for positioning etc. The GG has a chip in the corner but I can live with that until better times and $$$$. The bellows look fine. Would this be a wise purchase or just a obsolete door stop not worth restoring. Pre-Thanks for your comments Dennis
    Check www.graflex.org and www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post

Yes Thank-you. It does resemble a Speed-Graphic-press-style-camera with a little more wear and tear. Definitely more homework for me but you gave me a spot to narrow my search down by a few hrs.
    Last edited by dances_w_clouds; 07-07-2012 at 11:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    A camera is just a box, and old cameras are just wooden boxes that are hopefully light tight.

Less research - more photographing, or as david mammet would have said - shoot first ask questions later (only if you really need to...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What I can order is a:http://www.ebay.com/itm/GRAFLEX-4X5-...#ht_2454wt_832
    It looks as if it should fit. And they are close so shipping is very inexpensive. Probably should get 2

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin