Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,896   Posts: 1,520,992   Online: 834

Shooter
    Multi Format

Sheet Film Processing

Apologies- this is a really basic question. I've stocked up on Fuji 4x5 Quickloads, but at some point they'll run out and I'll have to go the sheet film route. My question is, how do you take the exposed film in for processing? Are there special envelopes made for that purpose? If so, is it one sheet per, or can several go in one envelope? Thanks in advance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Spare empty film boxes are what are generally used to transport film to the lab.

If lab is somewhere you walk into, then you can probably bring them loaded film holders and they will unload them for you and return the holders with your processed film./

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have you considered developing them yourself?

Shooter
    Multi Format

Reuse old boxes & black envelopes...

Quote Originally Posted by Mitya138 View Post
    Apologies- this is a really basic question.
    I've stocked up on Fuji 4x5 Quickloads, but at some point they'll run out and I'll have to
    go the sheet film route. My question is, how do you take the exposed film in for processing ?
    Are there special envelopes made for this purpose ?
    If so, is it one sheet per, or can several go in one envelope? Thanks in advance.
    The way I was taught was to reuse old boxes & black envelopes that the sheet film came in.

If you're dividing the exposed stock by the S.B.R., ( Zone System ), build up a number of
    old boxes, put gaffer's tape on them right the S.B.R., on the tape on the box to organize
    the individual sheets.

NOTE: S.B.R. stands for Subject Brightness Range.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Use all of the original box and packaging materials that the unexposed film came in.
    Put the film back in just as it was originally packaged (minus interleave papers).

It's wise to use the correct box for the type of film (Acros in an Acros box, FP4+
    in an FP4+ box, etc.) but not mandatory.

Put a business card on top of the box so the lab won't get it mixed up, and use
    clear packing tape to seal the box, including holding the business card in place.

Give them a written description of exactly what's in the box, including type and
    number of sheets of film (only one type per box) so they know what to expect.

I normally put the film box and two copies of the Purchase Order/description
    document in a large zip-lock bag to keep them together.

They'll normally return all the boxes and packing to you with the processed film,
    but make sure you request that specifically just in case.

- Leigh
    Last edited by Leigh B; 07-15-2012 at 08:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I never used the inner envelope when sending film in, and I've never had a problem. I think that is more for keeping the film fresh than dark. Of course it doesnt hurt anything to use it, I'm just lazy and seek the path of least resistance. It has only bitten me once in 25 years, when I accidentally opened a box with about 50 exposed sheets. Even then, few of them were completely ruined.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    I never used the inner envelope when sending film in, and I've never had a problem.
    Ditto.

Also, regarding tape. The kind folks at my former (RIP) lab asked that the boxes not be taped up excessively. I used masking tape (small strip on two sides) and rubber bands to hold my processing instructions. Never had a problem.

If not previously mentioned, make sure the box is indelibly marked with your name, address/phone and instructions to return the box. I've only rarely had them not do that anyway, but I don't shoot enough film to make lots of boxes so I need to keep what I have.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin