Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,589   Posts: 1,545,927   Online: 1205

Shooter
    Multi Format

The Low Tech Beret Focusing Hood

For the amusement/edification of all large formatters.
    Having recently spent most of my available cash putting together the lightest field camera outfit I could devise, I was left with the problem of making a focusing hood alternative to the black T shirt. I had been looking at a Linhof accessory made for 6x9 cameras that looka bit like a bag bellows with a focusing magnifier in one end. However I couldn't find a 5x4 equivalent in my price bracket.
    It was whilst browsing the usual round of charity shops (yes I am a cheapskate) that I discoverd a large black beret which sparked the germ of an idea. After exchanging one pound for said article, I cut a hole in the crown into which I stitched an old filter ring to which was then bound some thin scrap leather. Into the head band I threaded some wire to which a couple of laces were attached at either end. These were to attach the hood firmly to the camera in windy weather although I have not needed this precaution yet.
    The result is not perfect but it's not bad either; more skilled hands would make a better job I'm sure. I can fit a magnifying loupe through the viewing hole if need be. There is also just about enough flexibility to allow me to see all four corners although the hood can become detached if not careful.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails beret1.jpg   beret2.jpg   beret3.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Don't feel bad about missing the Linhof version. I bought one years ago. The fabric is weird and has a sort of crumbly layer, so you'd need a beret-style replacement anyway.

Great idea, by the way!

Cheers,

Roger
    Free Photography Information on My Website
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I got the Linhof version with my ST IV outfit, I gave the focussing bellows away; crappiest $400 item I ever saw.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some say that necessity is the mother of invention. That may be so, but short arms and long pockets are prime contenders for the father.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oui, Monsieur. The beret is without question a most stylish option.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin