Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,836   Posts: 1,582,416   Online: 814

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Wood for Lensboards

After a recent shopping spree I find that I have more lenses than boards. My camera, a Kodak #2 5X7, seem to want an 1/8 inch board. But finding an 1/8 inch cut in cherry wood or mahogany is proving tough. Can anyone offer any suggestions where I should look? Instead of Cherry wood or mahogony, would birch be a hard enough wood for a lens board? Thanks!

Cheers,

James

Shooter
    Large Format
    As a wood worker, let me offer the following. Find a woodworker in your neighborhood and ask him or her to cut the needed blank for the lens board. You should expect to pay for the wood and about an hours worth of his time. This will still be lower cost then buying used off e-bay.
    By the way my personal favorite would be Black Walnut. Beautiful but pricey.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use Basswood from a local Michael's crafts store. cuts easy and works fine.
    I sure would like cherry too but oh well..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My preference is to laminate two thin pieces of conventional 3/16" stock, cross-grain and heart-to-heart, and then cut a rabbet along the edges with the shaper, and route out the center area of the back side. That way, you end up with more of a light trap around the edge. Another option is 1/8" plywood, available at many hobby shops, but usually not carried by Home Depot-type stores. Again, laminate for greater strength and the light trap at the edge. Any tight-grained hardwood is OK.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Images
    Pergo
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Most of our local hobby shops, carry many different kinds of thin hardwood, I have purchased poplar, cherry, walnut birch and a couple of others in small sheets which are about 3 feet long 6 inches long and 1/8" thick for about $4.50 a sheet, which gives you enough to make quite a few boards. I live in a small town and we have 4 shops here, so I am sure that the larger towns would have more.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Brian, your Pergo suggestion . . . floors me.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Images
    it works reall good if you can find it in the right width. Totally stiff. Dimensionally stable, and has a nice external finish.
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bmac
    it works reall good . . .
    True. I was making a Pergo pun.

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Birch would work fine. I made a few boards for my Calumet C1 and sold all the metal lensboards I had. I read somewhere that thin plywood can be cut with a knife instead of a saw. Haven't tried this yet.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin