Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,194   Online: 709

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    For what it's worth, I've been using Packard shutters for 62 years I prefer the instantaneous type. They are easy to spot as the shutter frame has a hole on one side, and a small diameter extension on the back side. These three leaf shutters are drivin by air from a bulb and hose that goes through the lensboard to the shutter cylinder. They come in different sizes for different diameter lenses. The larger shutters inst. speed is about 1/15 second. They are very simple to mount. If the lens sticks out in back of the lensboard, make a 1/2 inch box to mount the lens in front of the lensboard, with the Packard in back of the lensboard. I use them because they don't shake the camera. Packard shutters are still being made.
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagepics View Post
    I’m very intrigued by the Packard set up. I have never heard of that. I think that would work with my lens, I would just have to figure out how to mount it to it. I have elements both behind, and in front of the lens board. The other question I would raise with the Packard is camera shake. I have not looked into it much, but it seems the Packard gets about a ¼ to 1/8 shutter speed, and the 2D is already a very shaky camera. Do you think that slow, clunky shutter would cause some lens shake?

I also gave some erroneous information. It’s an Eastman 2D. The No. 1 is my 5x7 plate camera.

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    If you have to go to the trouble of mounting a Packard, then perhaps you should also consider a Sinar shutter.

Just as much hassle to mount, but you get the advantage of shutter speeds from 1/60th to 8 seconds.

So much more useful than a Packard in my opinion.

I guess you'd need to work out if you will continue using barrel lenses in future if you need to justify the price (circa $300), or whether you can get by with a Copal et al mounted lens for the same price.

If you kit works well for you, why change cameras? If you want a shutter, there are plenty of 8x10 lens out there that won't break the bank. You can even have your lens mounted in front of a shutter but the machining required might approach the cost of a second lens. Packard lenses work, but I fret over drilling that extra hole in a good lensboard.
    IMHO get a second lens in a shutter (after all, you've got a legit excuse!)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Then of course there is always the Jim Galli shutter which will cost nothing......

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum44/2...ll-please.html
    Rick Lanning
    Retired Crime Scene Photog.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin