Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,587   Posts: 1,545,842   Online: 1152

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    I bought a MP-4 bellows assembly on Ebay and installed a 4 x 5" spring back on it to make a "field camera", it is a hybird creation, I love it

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It looks like the lens Chris is offering is a very good option for me right now; I am looking for lens boards and it appears all KEH has in stock are recessed lens boards like the one I have, assuming the lens is a Copal 0 (Chris said the mounting flange is 1.5 inches).

If it's a Copal 1, they have the boards in stock but they're $35 in BGN.

Any other sources for lens boards? Can I use another manufacturer's boards for the Calumet?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Let me preface my remarks with a disclaimer: I am a cheapskate (a yankee, as we say around here) and I get most of my gear for darn-near free. It just takes some patience.

As a short term, quick-and dirty solution to lensboards for that camera, they can be made from masonite or even black foam-core board. I do it all the time to test lenses. If you have to buy another lensboard and the shutter/lens combination, you're talking $75 plus shipping, right? I would look locally for a Tessar type lens in the 135-170 mm range in shutter. You can probably find one without too much trouble. A Tessar-type is a good, all-around lens design made by just about everyone and his brother. Ilex, Wollansak, Zeiss (of course), Bausch and Lomb, the list is almost endless and most will be decent, serviceable lenses to get you going. I also wouldn't sniff at the prospect of putting a Rapid Rectilinear (RR) or triplet from a 3A folder, as has been suggested. Lots of really fine photographs have been made with those lenses and they often go unloved at flea markets and antique stores.
    -
    What Chris is offering is a good price, don't get me wrong, and he is being quite honest about what the lens is. I just think a little local conversation might get you a better all-rounder for about the same price.

Shooter
    35mm
    I am going to ship the lens to him as a loaner, if he likes it after a month or two, my beer fund will increase.
    Having been a Woodworker/Carpenter for 40 years, lens boards are easy to fabricate. Someone else jump
    in and instruct him, I always use Baltic plywood.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's a wonderful gesture. I actually looked on eBay and found that I can buy new lens boards for about $10 (made of wood), or I can get used ones for about the same price. Once I get the lens and find out what size the shutter is I'll be able to order a lens board and give the lens a workout.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteymorange View Post
    Let me preface my remarks with a disclaimer: I am a cheapskate (a yankee, as we say around here) and I get most of my gear for darn-near free. It just takes some patience.

As a short term, quick-and dirty solution to lensboards for that camera, they can be made from masonite or even black foam-core board. I do it all the time to test lenses. If you have to buy another lensboard and the shutter/lens combination, you're talking $75 plus shipping, right? I would look locally for a Tessar type lens in the 135-170 mm range in shutter. You can probably find one without too much trouble. A Tessar-type is a good, all-around lens design made by just about everyone and his brother. Ilex, Wollansak, Zeiss (of course), Bausch and Lomb, the list is almost endless and most will be decent, serviceable lenses to get you going. I also wouldn't sniff at the prospect of putting a Rapid Rectilinear (RR) or triplet from a 3A folder, as has been suggested. Lots of really fine photographs have been made with those lenses and they often go unloved at flea markets and antique stores.
    -
    What Chris is offering is a good price, don't get me wrong, and he is being quite honest about what the lens is. I just think a little local conversation might get you a better all-rounder for about the same price.

he tells it like it is ..
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brofkand View Post
    It looks like the lens Chris is offering is a very good option for me right now; I am looking for lens boards and it appears all KEH has in stock are recessed lens boards like the one I have, assuming the lens is a Copal 0 (Chris said the mounting flange is 1.5 inches).

If it's a Copal 1, they have the boards in stock but they're $35 in BGN.

Any other sources for lens boards? Can I use another manufacturer's boards for the Calumet?
    <expletives> I told you that the MP-4 Copal Press shutter is a #1 shutter. I have a couple of them. I've had three 135/4.5 Tominons. I have the documentation too. <more expletives>

You've earned whatever misfortunes come to you.

Dan "ask the man who has one" Fromm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd suggest taking Dan's advice and going for a 150mm f5.6 Plasmay, the most common are a Symmar or Sironar both also rebadged as Caltars by Calumet as well. They are often quite inexpensive and will give excellent results.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    he tells it like it is ..
    ... especially the part about Yankees. Ask me how I know

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    ... especially the part about Yankees. Ask me how I know

Well?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin