Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,822   Posts: 1,581,930   Online: 959

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have seen a lot of 210mm lenses in modern Copal shutters on Ebay go from $200.00 down to $150.00. If you are patient you might find one closer to $100.00.

If you buy right then you can always sell later for close to what you paid if you find you no longer want the lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    <expletives> I told you that the MP-4 Copal Press shutter is a #1 shutter. I have a couple of them. I've had three 135/4.5 Tominons. I have the documentation too. <more expletives>

You've earned whatever misfortunes come to you.

Dan "ask the man who has one" Fromm
    <expletives> I asked Chris, the gentleman with the lens I might buy, to measure the size of the mounting ring. It measures an inch and a half. An inch and a half is right in the middle of Copal 0 and Copal 1.

I'm not buying a lens board before i see the lens and know for a fact it's Copal 0 or Copal 1.

I don't understand why anyone who doesn't take your word as gospel is earning whatever misfortunes arrive?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    ... especially the part about Yankees. Ask me how I know

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brofkand View Post
    <expletives> I asked Chris, the gentleman with the lens I might buy, to measure the size of the mounting ring. It measures an inch and a half. An inch and a half is right in the middle of Copal 0 and Copal 1.

I'm not buying a lens board before i see the lens and know for a fact it's Copal 0 or Copal 1.

I don't understand why anyone who doesn't take your word as gospel is earning whatever misfortunes arrive?
    I have Polaroid MP-4 shutters. They are #1s. The 135/4.5 Tominon is made to screw into the front of a #1. I've had three of them. They all fit my MP-4 shutters.

Why do you think I might be mistaken about this? Why do you think I might be trying to mislead you? If you fall off a cliff I won't mourn but I'll get no pleasure from your demise.

I have no idea what diameter Chris thinks is 1.5" or so. I do know the #1 standard. You can find it here: http://www.skgrimes.com/products/new.../pressshutters

I think it might be time for me to ban myself from APUG. Too many damfools here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I dunno man, due to the cost of sheet film and paper, I would not try to go on the cheap, but instead pony up for a decent $200-$300 lens from KEH that has a return policy on it in case the speeds stick. If you pinch pennies on some ok at best lens and then find out the shutter speeds are off and it needs a CLA, what is that time and money worth to you?

To me, the lens *is* the camera, especially when you can just swap boards down the road if you change setups...

And you can find deals now and then, I got a new condition 180mm 5.6 Apo-Symmar for $220 shipped from a guy on Craigslist, it is one of my favorite lenses and works flawless.
    Last edited by PKM-25; 07-19-2012 at 08:39 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    I have Polaroid MP-4 shutters. They are #1s. The 135/4.5 Tominon is made to screw into the front of a #1. I've had three of them. They all fit my MP-4 shutters.

Why do you think I might be mistaken about this? Why do you think I might be trying to mislead you? If you fall off a cliff I won't mourn but I'll get no pleasure from your demise.

I have no idea what diameter Chris thinks is 1.5" or so. I do know the #1 standard. You can find it here: http://www.skgrimes.com/products/new.../pressshutters

I think it might be time for me to ban myself from APUG. Too many damfools here.
    I think it's time for a Xanax for Mr. Fromm. Telling people they deserve misfortune because they don't revere you as a saint is pretty sad.

I am looking on eBay and Craigslist for lenses, right now my budget doesn't allow for an expensive lens and I don't want the camera to sit in my room until I have a lens that meets APUG standards.

I am seeing some Fujinon's for less than $200, actually quite a bit less. Fuji makes great lenses, I'll have to look more into them.

If I spend $40 for the lens from Chris and it turns out to not be a very sharp lens, I'll use it for portrait or whatever. If it's a great lens, I just got a great lens for $40. I don't see a downside here.

If it needs a CLA, I'll send it back to Chris. He's graciously allowing me to try out the lens before I pay him for it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    mp4 shutters are copal 1, they are self cocking press shutters that have 2 threaded sockets and a top speed of 1/125s
    the shutter WILL need a cla, they all do, unless he had his CLA before he sold it to you.
    ( add that 50-100$ + postage of your CLA isn't local to the price of whatever lens you buy. )
    the tominon lenses are not really very good lenses for general photography. i must admit i have a 127 and it is OK ( stopped down )
    not a lens i tend to use all the time. the shutter takes a small throw release and if it is a long throw, it slides off the
    anvil and gets jammed in the shutter. it was the lens that came with my speed graphic through, so i use it ...
    the 135 will work OK ( stopped down ) but if it was me, i would spend the $$ on something else .. the other lenses mentioned in this thread
    by whitey, ian, dan, pmk-25 and the others are better lenses, and worth the $$...
    if you NEED a shuttered lens, poke around for a symmar convertible, that might be another lens to look into, it is 2 lenses in 1, it cover 4x5 without a second
    thought it is paired - the 150 with a 265 -- worth the $$ way more than a polaroid tominon ...
    plus all of the other lenses mentioned have re-sale value is more than 35$ ... (people tend to buy these lenses for the shutter, not the lens,
    because a g claron screws right into the shutter and they tend to have a large image circle stopped way down .. )

another lens you might look into is one of reinhold's wollaston meniscus lenses, wide open is beautifully dreamy, and with the supplied! waterhouse stops
    it is sharp, they also are in your price range and are a barrel lens which is perfect for paper negatives ...
    which might be more useful than film to get your feet wet ...
    process it in a tray by inspection, and load it in a safelight.

i can't say anything about plastic tanks, i have a yankee, and it has served me well for 30+ years, and it won't transfer your 98.6ºF to the chemistry ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Well?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    mp4 shutters are copal 1, they are self cocking press shutters that have 2 threaded sockets and a top speed of 1/125s
    the shutter WILL need a cla, they all do, unless he had his CLA before he sold it to you.
    ( add that 50-100$ + postage of your CLA isn't local to the price of whatever lens you buy. )
    the tominon lenses are not really very good lenses for general photography. i must admit i have a 127 and it is OK ( stopped down )
    not a lens i tend to use all the time. the shutter takes a small throw release and if it is a long throw, it slides off the
    anvil and gets jammed in the shutter. it was the lens that came with my speed graphic through, so i use it ...
    the 135 will work OK ( stopped down ) but if it was me, i would spend the $$ on something else .. the other lenses mentioned in this thread
    by whitey, ian, dan, pmk-25 and the others are better lenses, and worth the $$...
    if you NEED a shuttered lens, poke around for a symmar convertible, that might be another lens to look into, it is 2 lenses in 1, it cover 4x5 without a second
    thought it is paired - the 150 with a 265 -- worth the $$ way more than a polaroid tominon ...
    plus all of the other lenses mentioned have re-sale value is more than 35$ ... (people tend to buy these lenses for the shutter, not the lens,
    because a g claron screws right into the shutter and they tend to have a large image circle stopped way down .. )

another lens you might look into is one of reinhold's wollaston meniscus lenses, wide open is beautifully dreamy, and with the supplied! waterhouse stops
    it is sharp, they also are in your price range and are a barrel lens which is perfect for paper negatives ...
    which might be more useful than film to get your feet wet ...
    process it in a tray by inspection, and load it in a safelight.

i can't say anything about plastic tanks, i have a yankee, and it has served me well for 30+ years, and it won't transfer your 98.6ºF to the chemistry ...
    Do you have the currently sold Yankee daylight tank?

I have plenty of experience using 4x5, we used them in Photo 2 (Camera and Light) at school so I have experience using deep tank processing (it was always perfect for me, using replenished D-76 and FP4). Never done tray processing, but it can't be too hard. I forgot that I had about half a box left of FP4 from my class, and bought a box of Delta 100 (it was either that or HP5, those were the only films the camera shop had when I bought the camera).

I do need a shuttered lens, my camera doesn't have a focal plane shutter and in daylight shutter speeds are too fast to be very accurate using a cap as a shutter. Paper negatives are another matter obviously.

I plan on shooting this camera for a long time, so there will be plenty of time to get good lenses. Since Chris is letting me try before I buy, if the shutter needs a CLA I'll just send it back to him.

I'll probably buy a Fujinon. They're inexpensive on KEH, probably even more so on eBay. And they have a good reputation from what I hear.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    as i said ... i have a yankee roll film tank that is 30+ years old
    i didn't know they made sheet film tanks.
    reihold also sells drop-shutters that fit right on the front of his lenses.
    if they aren't fully available yet, they will be soon. so i wouldn't give up on
    his cost effective and great solutions ..

do you have a dollar store/family dollar near you ?
    they sell tupperware tubs that easily fit 4x5 hangers
    if you are used to deep tanks and hangers just get 3 tubs
    fill one with your developer, one with water and one with fixer.
    i used a 3quart tupperware container for hangers for a while
    before i switched to trays.

do you have a shutter speed tester ? it might come in useful with chris' lens,
    (it will need a cla, like most lenses ... )

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin