Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,772   Posts: 1,484,370   Online: 1183

Shooter
    Multi Format

Value of a Horseman 4x5 system?

Hi All,
    I am new to A-PUG but I really like it. My question is, I have a good friend who wants me to sell his Horseman stuff in as much as he is basicly a recluse these days. Martin has a Horseman LXC, two Schnieder lenses mounted on boards (90 f8 and 150 f5.6-both with copal shutters) and I think 36 4x5 film holders and a couple of Polaroid backs. I don't have a clue what to ask for them. He needs to sell them but won't do it himself and I can't seem to find a Horseman for sale to get an idea of what this stuff is worth. Would help him out myself but I am trying to raise money for a new wedding camera.
    Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Oldfrog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Check eBay prices, what they actually sell for, not the Buy It Now prices. That shows what the market will bear, generally. I'd say sell the film holders individually, not many people need 36, so you may be better splitting them up or selling in pairs or something.

Shooter
    Large Format
    An LXC was about $4k new, and that was plenty of years ago.
    My sinar is of about the same age and price, and the camera body, no lens board, lens, or shutter was $600. I would suggest starting an auction at around $480 for the camera, standards, rail, and back. I have no idea what the lenses are worth, although I would suggest selling them with the camera and boating the price a bit. The view camera with lenses seem to sell a bit more readily, since you can pretty much just go out and shoot once you get it.
    Bundling the film holders in packs of two for selling is your best bet. Two is small enough that anyone needing holders will buy them, and anyone needing lots of holders will buy multiple sets.
    Put the camera up for auction, but use a buy it now for the holders, with the option that allows you to buy multiple.
    Just my two cents.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin