Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,010   Posts: 1,524,632   Online: 985

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

How much for a pristine Super Graphic?

I am in the long-term market for 4x5, meaning I am not prepared to start shooting and so can wait years for a pristine camera to fall into my lap.

How much would you pay for this Super Graphic, assuming it is in as good shape as the guy says?

http://denver.craigslist.org/pho/3151926174.html
    Last edited by pbromaghin; 07-20-2012 at 04:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    It is worth whatever you are willing to pay

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If it is really that clean, no light leaks, and the shutter works. Check for scuffs on the leather, they are signs of abuse or wear.

The shutter may be slow if it really is that unused. Offer less if the shutter does not cock and fire because you will need to get a CLA.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rjs003 View Post
    Or more, if someone pays more.

I paid about $130 for a similar one that is in terrible, ugly shape, without a lens, but working perfectly. The clean condition of this one might attract someone who values that but as Sirius said something that nice looks hardly used. Not always good for such an old camera. If you do not need a pretty camera wait and find one from a reputable source that might look more used but works and might be cheaper.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rjs003 View Post
    As a faithful follower of Adam Smith, I am aware of price theory. Note that I asked not what it is worth, but what others would be willing to pay. What I would be willing to pay is undetermined and is hopefully to be influenced by answers to this question. What knowledgeable people would pay for an object is valuable information to have before entering into a transaction.
    Last edited by pbromaghin; 07-20-2012 at 05:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Assuming it is as nice as he says it is and the shutter works, it is probably worth what he is asking if he sold it on Ebay. I don't know what Denver is like but in St. Louis large format equipment seems to go for less on Craigslist.

Shoot him an offer. The worst he can say is no.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I wouldn't put off not shooting just to wait for a camera. Seize the moment. What is here today may not be here tomorrow. From a historical standpoint, many people get involved in the format and drop out due to one reason or another. You'll never know if it's for you until you buy something and get going. The camera is just a box to hold a lens and film holder. Buy film, shoot, keep it alive.
    I owned a Super Graphic, nice camera but limited in movements. Get something with more options like a true field camera. Just my POV.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, pbromaghin;

An interestingly phrased question.

In my case, I was sent a damaged Super Speed Graphic. No charge for the camera or the shipping. But it did have some problems. So, a little over $400 later, I have a fairly nice working camera. However, in this case, I must admit that there is a personal relationship involved here, and the equivalent sentimental value of the camera has not yet been assessed.

So, yes, I do have a very nice working Super Speed Graphic, but I still prefer using my "Joe Rosenthal" camera more; a 1945 Anniversary Edition Speed Graphic.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it truly is mint, and depending a little on the box condition, it's not an unreasonable asking price.
    However, if you're in the market for a user, this may not be the best choice if you're concerned about preserving its value.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Snag it! These don't show up very often at all. A few years ago I watched a similar Super Graphic go for the price of a new Toyo 45AX on eBay. If you want a pristine camera, this is it. Do it!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin