Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,841   Online: 788

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

sources for LF film?

Trying to figure out which companies still sell LF film, especially cheap film.
    I heard a rumor that some Polaroid production was done in China, is there any chance that that is true, and if so, is there any chance of seeing an instant film come out of China?
    I usually use Wilford or adox film, and Google just gave me a bunch of places that had either moved their website or were out of business.
    So who still makes LF film? Who still makes color film? Who still makes slide film?
    Thanks.

Shooter
    35mm
    Cheapest b/w LF film I've seen is freestyle with Fomapan rebranded as Arista Edu Ultra.
    I take donations for beer and film​.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    B&W: Several companies. Foma, Ilford, Kodak and Fuji all make large format film, as does Efke.
    Colour negative: Kodak and Fuji.
    Colour positive (transparency): Fuji, and as of a few days ago, only in one film type - Velvia 100.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    If cheap is the concern, research shooting x-ray film here and on the LF Forum. We are talking pennies on the dollar. 7x17 Ilford is about $9 a sheet. I gather $0.70 to .75 in X-ray. Haven’t tried it myself but lots have and have written about it.

John Powers
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichı

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    B&W: Several companies. Foma, Ilford, Kodak and Fuji all make large format film, as does Efke.
    Colour negative: Kodak and Fuji.
    Colour positive (transparency): Fuji, and as of a few days ago, only in one film type - Velvia 100.
    I have seen no evidence that suggests Velvia 50 and 100F is no longer available in 4x5 (or 8x10) in the US. All the sources that said it was discontinued a few days ago were UK sources. Until I see a source that says this is true for Fujifilm USA I don't believe it.

LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Look for expired film stocks on eBay.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    B&h
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Discoman View Post
    Trying to figure out which companies still sell LF film, especially cheap film.
    B&H Photo-Video
    Freestyle
    Badger
    Glazer's

I usually get mine from Badger Graphic (Ilford,) CSX Online (x-ray) and Freestyle (for everything else) B and H also stocks the stuff of dreams. Fotoman has (or had?) Surplus Kodak aerial film. I don't know who is selling Shanghai or Lucky these days.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Film

For my dollar I think you can't beat Freestyle's Arista EDU ultra is comes in a variety of formats and a good selection of speeds in 4x5. They also carry efke, ilford and kodak. Their customer service cannot be beat by anyone.
    X-ray film is cheap but bear in mind it is usually a double sided emulsion, unless you get mammo film, and it is blue/green sensitive(orthochromatic) and is all quite slow. The double sided emulsion will eat up your chemistry faster. The single emulsion is better for speed and contrast but is usually only available in metric sizes. I use single emulsion mammo film either kodak min-r or fuji ADM for making enlarged negatives.
    No escaping it!
    I must step on fallen leaves
    to take this path

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin