Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,489   Online: 973

Shooter
    Large Format

Seneca 8x10 Film Holder

Dear LF world,

Could anybody please confirm if an old Seneca 8x10 would take a newer style plastic film holder, ie a Fidelity Deluxe etc, or only wooden holders?

Thanks in advance,
    Matt.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The wooden holders from the 1960 I have are the same dimensions as the modern plastic ones. Can you measure the "T-distance" on your camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The only camera that I know had different dimensions for their holders are the very old Rochester Universal cameras (pre 1900). Their holders are 3/4' wider and have no ridge to lock the holder in place. The Seneca Camera manufacturing Company was formed in 1895 but many of their view cameras seem to hale from the first two decades of the twentieth cent. By then I believe they had "standardized" the holders. If you have the camera, it should be easy enough to try one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have two 8X10 Senecas, a Competitor and an Improved. I collected about a dozen wood-and-metal film holders made by Graflex, Eastman (Kodak), Agfa-Ansco, and Burke and James. They all fit. I'm guessing modern holders would fit, too, but haven't tried any.
    Happiness is a load of bulk chemicals, a handful of recipes, a brick of film and a box of paper. - desertrat

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes. I have an "improved" model and it takes modern 8x10 holders just fine.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin