Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,916   Posts: 1,584,717   Online: 797

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Oh, come on, people! Lighten up! I thought the video about George Tice was really good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great video! I'm learning how to control my 8x10 beast. I wondered how George Tice looks like now. Saw photos of him in his younger years. Always admired his work. I starred at his White Castle photo for a half hour in a gallery once. Definitely a master.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    I thought the video about George Tice was really good.
    "A lot of people these days who have a fancy digital camera, rip off a thousand photos and just hope they get something that works. So, I appreciate that somebody does it like this. You actually see somebody framing shots and setting up lighting and having a vision for something before they actually take the shot..."

—Gaslight Anthem, during their photo session with George Tice and his 8x10 Deardorff

Thanks, Brian.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    "A lot of people these days who have a fancy digital camera, rip off a thousand photos and just hope they get something that works. "
    A lot of photographers are under a lot of pressure to get the shot. The art director took a chance and went against convention by hiring Mr. Tice. I'll bet the AD was nervous since there's no more Polaroid to proof the shot. But again, they're working with a master with decades of experience. I'm not diminishing the work of photographers that do their work digitally, but I think this is the case of quality vs quantity. 8x10 will slow you down and think more. I'll bet the photo editor is happy because he or she doesn't have to swim through thousands of shots to find right one.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'll bet the photo editor is happy because he or she doesn't have to swim through thousands of shots to find right one.

No one will wade through that amount of spew, much less accept it, from anyone dumb enough to try. Just doesn't work that way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nice piece, thanks for pointing it out!

I am finding that more and more art directors and editors are willing not only more often to consider the look and feel of film on a campaign or article, they are willing to cover the relative marginal cost of it as well, not all the time, but often enough. So it is casting a sense of relief over both the artist and the art buyer, that the riptide of technology has not swept away the notion of intrepid, individualistic thinking on either side...and that is liberating for both parties.

As for using 8x10, I would if I could enlarge it, so I am limited to 4x5 for at least the next few years until my wife and I buy a home. But even 4x5 imparts the same sense of curiosity and non-threatening intrigue from would be subjects as they almost subconsciously relax knowing that you simply can not upload it to Facebook or Twitter right away. They know that not only are you more considerate and contemplative in your approach to how you take the photo, you are in how you use it as well.

It's a win+win=WIN equation...
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nice to see this Tice video. He's one of my favourites, and one of the very best printers in the history of the craft.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin