Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,954   Posts: 1,522,786   Online: 950

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If that happened to me, I'd file a UFO sighting - Unidentified Flashing Object ... Interesting work though, and they probably get a story to tell on the CB radio, and it may well turn into an urban myth over time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by laroygreen View Post
    If that happened to me, I'd file a UFO sighting - Unidentified Flashing Object
    Speaking of trains and Unidentified Flashing Objects...

just another little ol' SoCal tradition

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qjQhUulkXY
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I really enjoyed using my Alien Bees with my 4x5 and a 210 lens. I have two #800 alian bees with umbrellas and also gells and such. I also picked up an Adorama 160 watt little flash with a snoot and barndoors for some hair light and seperation from what ever background on a boom stand. Shoot most of my stuff at f22 and it is fine.

Also, yes it is slow but the sessions are fantastic. I would ask for 30 to 45 minutes to do a remote before the sitter was to get involved to get things in place and use my flash meter to check things out. Then I usually did 12 shots. The interactions with the sitter was wonderful. I got very good and getting them posed how I liked them, then I did a second stool for me to sit off camera with a longer release. I would engage them in conversation and they would relax, except for my repeated request not to slowch. Sessions were about 40 minutes. Then there was breakdown.

I really enjoy this every time it happens. Personnally I would like to bill myself as a special add-on to so many DSLR weding shooters to have me come in and work with the bride and groom just for this special true B&W experience. Reminds me of what great portrait photographers like Jane Reece used to be.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I was always very happy with my 750 w/s Calumet Travelites when shooting 4x5 in the studio, with a 210mm lens. They had more than enough oomph at about 5-6' from the subject (my studio was SMALL - my 10x12' dining room) to hit f16-22 in a 30x40 inch softbox. Your alienbees don't have the power to really do that, but you could probably get away with f11, especially if you bring your light in a little closer, and/or change your light modifier.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just tested my White Lightning Ultra Zap 800 (330 watt seconds) -- full power at 10 feet, through a 48" octa light, ASA 400, got a nice crisp f16. I like my box to be just outside the shot when I shoot portraits, so I would generally have it much closer. You should have plenty of power with the bees.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerSmithPhoto View Post
    I like my box to be just outside the shot when I shoot portraits, so I would generally have it much closer.

Very good point. A lot of photographers place their strobes too far away.

Your photography is inspirational, Parker!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just as an FYI, I found this on the PCB website (makers of Alienbee flashes) and it matches up with my own results with my DSLR http://www.paulcbuff.com/output.php.

Those measurements are at ISO100, so I am right where I would typically need to be at ISO400, plus, I don't have any issues pushing the film 2 stops if needed (even if it isn't needed, like the look of it from time to time), so I should be OK until I can invest in more powerful strobes (no time soon!).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Very good point. A lot of photographers place their strobes too far away.

Your photography is inspirational, Parker!
    My sincere thanks. I greatly appreciate hearing that.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin