Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,832   Posts: 1,582,380   Online: 834

Shooter
    Multi Format

Leaf shutter lubrication or cleaning?

Hi everyone,
    Let me start by apologizing, because I'm sure this is a common question, but from my searches, I cannot find a simple answer (perhaps there isn't one?). I have a 47mm 5.6 schneider from 1970 in a Synchro Compur #00 shutter, and the leaf shutter is sticky at all speeds. It'll fire, but there's no continuity every time I fire it at one speed. I'm wondering if I need to do the lighter fluid thing (or is that not a good idea?) or just re-lubricate it, or what?
    Many thanks in advance!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If this shutter is important to you I'd have someone else do the work. Someone who has done hundreds of similar or identical shutters will know exactly how to do it, because they have done it before.

I'm not trying to be flippant but working on these things takes time. Learning as you go will eat up plenty of it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Obskura View Post
    I'm wondering if I need to do the lighter fluid thing (or is that not a good idea?) or just re-lubricate it, or what?
    I don't think that any manufacturer of a leaf shutter recommends that "lighter fluid thing" as a way to service a shutter.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The blades of a leaf shutter should never be lubricated. This will cause then to be slow or to stick.

These shutters a very delicate and easily damaged. In addition they are actually more complicated than they seem. Seek a professional repair shop to clean it.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 07-29-2012 at 11:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm wondering if I need to do the lighter fluid thing (or is that not a good idea?) or just re-lubricate it, or what
    I think it depends how valuable the shutter is and how keen you are to spend money on it. FWIW, I had a sticky compur shutter in a retina IIIc. I DID do the "lighter fluid thing" (I actually used spray isopropyl alcohol) to flush as much oil as I could from the shutter leaves and mechanism. I then gently lubed the bearings and contact points with a little watch oil. (which are easily exposed) I didn't really know what I was doing, but >1 year on the shutter is still snappy. I don't think the DIY approach risks damaging the shutter particularly. (Don't physically touch the shutter blades other than with the lightest brush) Worst case it ends up back where you started - oiled up, and you have to get it professionally cleaned.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin