Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,801   Posts: 1,671,655   Online: 827

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In real life there's a huge differance between a 90mm Angulon and a 90mm Super Angulon, one just covers 5x4 with no room for movements the other (the SA) will cover 5x4 with plenty of movements and 7x5 or half plate with some movements.

I have and use both types and the Angulons have limitations.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    okay since i want to use the lens for half plate also, i think that rules out the angulon, and i am leaning towards the super angulon, just thinking about the 5.6 and 8 version, i'm reading that the main difference is the size and dimness on the viewfinder. the size is not very important, most of my walkabout is around the city. but the dimness could be a problem, i often use the camera indoors in limited lighting also.

cheers,

dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For a project I used the Angulon 90/6.8 on an 8x10" camera and there is no doubt that the image circle is slightly more than 200mm on f16 and distances above 30m. However the Angulons are a bit different in that the image circle does not coincide with the circle of sharpness which means that the sharpness falls during the last 25mm. I think that the 154mm given by Schneider is the circle where the sharpness is above a certain level. It is not the image circle.
    How does this affect the pictures? - If you really need perfect sharpness all the way to the corners combined with large movements you need the SA, for all other purposes the A will suit you just as well and it is also brighter and a lot lighter (mine weighs 118g complete with shutter). Not to mention that they cost next to nothing.
    Try one before you discard it.

When I think about them, I like my SA lenses, but I hardly ever use them (the only SA I have used this year is the 165/8 for 8x10" but you don't want to use that one on a 4x5" camera).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    From my understanding the 90 Angulon is popular with backpackers because of it's size and weight. Stopped down it will cover 4x5 but just barely with almost no room for movements. I have never shot one to confirm this however.

It's also dirt cheap!
    It will cover 4x5, and you can get away with some very slight movement, more if there is no detail in the corners of the scene. I've been using one for a while.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesper View Post
    For a project I used the Angulon 90/6.8 on an 8x10" camera and there is no doubt that the image circle is slightly more than 200mm on f16 and distances above 30m. However the Angulons are a bit different in that the image circle does not coincide with the circle of sharpness which means that the sharpness falls during the last 25mm. I think that the 154mm given by Schneider is the circle where the sharpness is above a certain level. It is not the image circle.
    How does this affect the pictures? - If you really need perfect sharpness all the way to the corners combined with large movements you need the SA, for all other purposes the A will suit you just as well and it is also brighter and a lot lighter (mine weighs 118g complete with shutter). Not to mention that they cost next to nothing.
    Try one before you discard it.

When I think about them, I like my SA lenses, but I hardly ever use them (the only SA I have used this year is the 165/8 for 8x10" but you don't want to use that one on a 4x5" camera).
    Image circle is the size of the sharp image, not the size of the circle of illumination. Schneider's 154mm is correct.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm quite happy with my Fujinon SW 90mm f/8; it has an image circle of 216mm (@f/22) and covers 5x7", weight 407g, though haven't compared it to anything comparable (also have a Graflex Optar 90/6.8 of which I know very little and used only a few times, though looked ok).
    My Nikkor-SW 65/4 is also a very nice lense, but with an image circle of just 170mm@f/16 it covers 4x5 but not much more.
    /Bertil

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by daveandiputra View Post
    ...on keh i've seen some 90mm lens that fits the budget, but i know nothing of the coverage of the lenses.
    KEH usually tells you right in the listing what film the lens will cover, like (4X5) or (5X7).

In your case you would want 5X7.

My computer database* shows seven 90mm lenses, six of which have ICs larger than the 218mm diagonal of 5x7 film.
    The one exception is the Fujinon SW 90/8 at 216mm, which would cover your half-plate.

The smallest/lightest lens in my list is the Nikkor SW 90/8.

- Leigh

*Note: My database is not all-inclusive, containing only modern lenses from the "big four", with few Schneider lenses.
    Last edited by Leigh B; 08-01-2012 at 07:57 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
    KEH usually tells you right in the listing what film the lens will cover, like (4X5) or (5X7).

In your case you would want 5X7.

My computer database* shows seven 90mm lenses, six of which have ICs larger than the 218mm diagonal of 5x7 film.
    The one exception is the Fujinon SW 90/8 at 216mm, which would cover your half-plate.

The smallest/lightest lens in my list is the Nikkor SW 90/8.

- Leigh

*Note: My database is not all-inclusive, containing only modern lenses from the "big four", with few Schneider lenses.
    on the SA 5.6 KEH only states 4x5 but schenieder states it will cover 13x18, i've heard good things about the nikkor SW 90/8, but haven't found it yet so have no guide on the price relating to my budget.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by daveandiputra View Post
    i've heard good things about the nikkor SW 90/8, but haven't found it yet so have no guide on the price
    KEH has a few in stock, such as http://www.keh.com/camera/Large-Form...000167500?r=FE

At $465 in BGN it might be a bit rich for the current search.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
    KEH has a few in stock, such as http://www.keh.com/camera/Large-Form...000167500?r=FE

At $465 in BGN it might be a bit rich for the current search.

- Leigh
    yep, thats to rich for me and add to that the SA f5.6 i've been looking at is gone now.

so the search continues

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin