Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,210   Posts: 1,531,982   Online: 1132

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF

wide angle for 4x5 and half plate

hi all,

i've been looking to add a wide angle lens for my half-plate camera (6.5 ins x 4.25 ins), although for film i use 4x5 with a sheath. so the best thing would be a lens that covers both format, i do't really uses movement so extra coverage is not important.
    the more important thing is budget most i can afford right now would be US$300 max, on keh i've seen some 90mm lens that fits the budget, but i know nothing of the coverage of the lenses.

right now i use a 180mm f4.5 heliar (a bit wide actually on the halfplate) and a 135mm lens ( i actually forgot the make and type ), so i'm hoping someone here can give some ideas what lens to look for

cheers,

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A 90mm Supera angluon, Grandagon, or similar would be ideal. Plenty of movements on the 5x4 and a little on half plate.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    hi ian,

i'm looking at three 90mm lens at the moment two super angulon (5.6 and 8) and a sinaron 6.8, anything i should know about them? or why i should choose between them?

the super angulon 5.6 is clearly the most expensive but if the advantages are leaning over that one, it is still in my bugdet

cheers,

dave

ps: the 135mm i have is a hugo meyer doppel-anastigmat 135mm 4.5, just got home and checked it out

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 90mm f5.6 SA has slightly larger coverage than the f8 version, it's aslightly easier to focus but it is slightly larger and heavier. They are very nice lenses though, very sharp.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could try the older, much smaller and cheaper Angulon 90/6.8.
    I bought mine at next to nothing and the result made me buy the 120/6.8, 165/6.8 and 210/6.8 as well.
    Small and cheap lenses.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    The difference in coverage between the SA 90 and the Angulon 90 is so small as to make the Angulon my choice although i own both.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Beg to differ on the coverage of the Super Angulon. From the Schneider Optics vintage data pages:

Angulon 6.8/90mm Image circle at f/16 = 154mm
    Angle of view at f/16 = 81 degrees

Super-Angulon 8/90mm Image circle at f/22 = 216mm
    Angle of view at f/22 = 100 degrees

Super-Angulon 5.6/90mm Image circle at f/22 = 235mm
    Angle of view at f/22 = 105 degrees

To my mind, the SA 8/90 has much more scope for movements than the plain old Angulon - Certainly on my Wista Field, I find bellows to be the limiting factor whith rise/fall/shift when using my SA 8/90. That said, the Angulon is much smaller and lighter than the SA which is worth bearing in mind if you go back country hiking with a LF rig.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Agree with Paul_c5x4. I don't think the angulon covers 4x5.... I have the SA 5.6 and will never look back. The extra weight is insignificant for me in comparison with the extra light for focusing on interior photography (which is what I do most of). The extra coverage is a big bonus. I had the SA 8.0 but ran out of coverage on occassion which was very frustrating, and of course it was harder to focus.

Shooter
    Large Format
    From my understanding the 90 Angulon is popular with backpackers because of it's size and weight. Stopped down it will cover 4x5 but just barely with almost no room for movements. I have never shot one to confirm this however.

It's also dirt cheap!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In real life there is not that much difference between the coverage between the Angulon and the Super Angulon. I'm am well aware of the 154mm circle given by Schneider, but when I've used the 6.8 on my 8x10" the real figure is about 200mm. However, the image quality drops towards the edge.
    I have both SA and A, but the SA lenses stay home while I use the A lenses (check the difference between the 165/8 and 165/6.8).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin