Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,936   Posts: 1,585,632   Online: 747

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Compendium hoods/masks with 4x5

What kind of hoods are you using with normal focal length and wide angle lenses?

I'm thinking about getting a Lee compendium hood. I don't have any Lee stuff and I'm not interested in their filter holders etc so I'm not sure how these hoods would hook onto the camera or lens. Since I'm using some huge wide angle lenses along with the normal focal lengths, I'm wondering if I should get the Lee wide angle hood and use that for all purposes - although still have no idea how I'll put it on the lens or attach it to the camera.

To anyone out there who also masks the lens, I'm curious to hear about how you do it. I'm hoping if I get the Lee wide angle hood I can somehow put together a kind of makeshift mask or cardboard blades or something I can attach to the lens hood.

I always wanted some type of adjustable hood that also had masking blades, but I don't know of anything unless you are in the Sinar or Linhof system, which I'm not. Anyway even so, the prices on those particular accessories are mildly insane to say the least.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I hear ya... I desperately want THIS for my Toyo 45AII but it's outta sight price wise. I only really need it for my Nikkor 90mm f4.5. It has 82mm threads and I've got no hood for it at this point. There have been a couple of pictures I had to abandon because I could not properly shade my lens.

If you get the Lee I'm curious to hear what you think of it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The prices are just ridiculous when you think about what the thing is - hardly a "precision" device.

I'm assuming I can make the Lee thing work - that is if it will fit over the monster 112mm center filter on the 72/90XL. But then I still need some way of masking. Anyway I'll see what I can figure out. Maybe I'll look for used Sinar or Linhof masking attachments.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought a hood like that at a camera fair in the spring, cost was £5 ($8 approx), I've made it fit. For a small fraction of that Toyo price I can buy a much better pre-WWII hood, there nothing new here

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What about masking, Ian? Do any of that? (reduces camera and veiling flare substantially, particularly with wide coverage lenses). I get the feeling few people bother with that technique.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With my compendium hood there's no need for masking as they are very deep. I'd forgotten I have one with my 10x8 Agfa Ansco Commercial View as well that came with the camera, although my Dagor is 1939/40 in fact it's coated and doesn't flare.

I have use masks to help prevent flare with some 35mm wide angle lenses but most of my main LF lenses are rather resistant to flare although I'll shade a lens from the sun when I can.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You only really need masking blades if you are using a long lens, and the shade isn't long enough, or if you are using fairly extreme movements and the shade isn't flexible enough to deal with it. For instance, if you have maximum front rise, and you have to set the compendium shade wider than normal for that lens to avoid vignetting, and then you want to mask off the other three sides of the image. Alternately, if you are shooting 6x12, you might want to use the masks to conform to the shape of the frame.

The goal of the compendium isn't only to prevent bright light from falling on the lens, but to minimize non-image light that can reduce contrast by bouncing around inside the lens and reflecting off the inside of the bellows.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The problem is if you have a variety of lenses (not only focal lengths but physical sizes) you need a really good compendium design if it is to work well both as a hood (for lens flare) and a mask (for camera flare).

Anyway, the search for solutions continues.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Michael,

Depending upon the hood it might be easy enough to make a fixed mask (matching the format) or adjustable blades and fasten it / them (and reposition it for landscape versus portrait format) via velcro dots.

That is the solution I am looking at to use the same hood for my 8x10 and 8x20 cameras.

Figuring out the mounting for the hood itself on two very different cameras is the bigger issue for me.

Hopefully that is a useful concept to you,

Len

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Len. Indeed the mounting issue is the most problematic for me.

Thanks for the velcro suggestion - I hadn't thought of that. It's straight forward enough to make some "blades" or a rectangle but I hadn't been able to think of a good way of attaching it to the hood which would allow me to move it around at will depending on camera movements.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin