Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,478   Posts: 1,571,040   Online: 1076

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Getting into large format and need advice?

Today im looking into buying a Cambo 4x5 SCX in good condition and it comes with bag bellows, 2 lens boards.. Is this good starter camera? I will need to purchase a lens and would appreciate advice on a decent starter lens also.. How is the Caltar lenses? I see them going for cheap on Ebay.. Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My first 4x5 was a Cambo SC. I think its fine. I would also look at Sinar F. What kinds of things do you want to shoot?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Nothing wrong with that camera. You should be aware that 99% of the time, the first large format camera you buy is not the last, because you'll find out only after using one for some period of time that the one you're using has one or more quirks that make it less-than-ideal for what you're trying to do with it. The great upside is that used LF gear holds value pretty well, and you're likely to get most if not all of what you spent back when you sell it on to finance the next piece.

Caltar lenses are fine- depending on which one you're looking at, they're rebranded Rodenstock or Schneider lenses if they're reasonably modern (1970s or later). Some of the older lenses (1950s & 60s) were Kodak or Wollensak designs. People get so funny about the name on the barrel - they're willing to pay a 20-30% premium for the exact same lens in the exact same shutter just because the name starts with R or S. And don't even get me started on the Linhof Select lenses.

A good starter lens if you have no idea what you want to shoot would be a 150mm lens. If you lean more toward portraits/close-ups/details, a 210mm is a great starter. If you do mostly grand landscapes and architecture, a 90mm is a good jumping-in point.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all the helpfull info! I just got back from buying the camera from a local person on Craigslist.. Im excited and cant wait to go lens shopping on Ebay this evening. Here is what i got today.. Body, 2 lens boards, bag bellows, cape?, View finder, 2 film holders and something that contains small bellows that i think might be a lens shade or something.. I paid $200 for it and it included a large black wooden case..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 027.jpg   021.JPG   028.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great! Enjoy!!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you Mr Glass!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was looking at this lens on Ebay.. Is this a good choice?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Calumet-Calt...item337622df5c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Your ebait find has been for sale since May and he's had two offers on it. Personally I don't think its a bad price but being me, I'd offer him around $150. maybe $175. if he pays shipping.
    The good thing is there are a lot of lenses out there for good prices. Don't fall in love with these things or you're going to pay through the nose.
    Have you checked KEH? their not alway the least expensive but the have a warrantee and great customer service. Their ratings are very conservative and many people here will buy BGN rated items and find only minor defects.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Nice. Hope you like wide-angles (eg 90mm) because that's what you'll be able to use with the bag bellows. To use the camera with normal and longer focal lengths, you will need a set of normal bellows to get you sufficient extension. For example, 150mm is considered normal (it's a wider kind of normal) on 4x5, which requires 150mm extension just to focus at infinity and 300mm to reach 1:1 (e.g. headshot on a baby, picture of a hand). So definitely start looking for some normal bellows.

That Caltar will serve you well I'm sure but you won't be able to focus it at all with the bag bellows.

The "small bellows" you have are a compendium shade.

Go have a read of LFPF.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin