Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,684   Online: 730

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've heard recommendations of 4x to 6x for ground glass focusing.

The Toyo is 4.6x, which seems to be pretty close to ideal. It's also long, so my nose doesn't hit the GG.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Large Format
    My Toyo is 3.6x magnification. It was the last version that you could get. My nose doesn't hit the GG either and I have a big nose!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK. I have one new in the box and it does say 3.6x.

My other three were purchased used, advertised as 4.6x, but I've never checked them.

Thanks.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Shawn and I both use the Toyo 3.6 and like them a lot. They are a little hard to find since discontinued, but check eBay frequently and one may show up. I saw one once on the LF Forum, but it was gone before the person i told about it could buy it.

John Powers
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichý

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have read that Toyo made a 4x loupe that you could change the focus.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a selection of loupes and the one I use is decided by the final enlargement ratio of the photograph.

For example if I'm enlarging 4x then I need at least a 5x loupe to have some focussing accuracy in reserve. If I'm doing a 8x10 contact then I don't need a loupe at all. The ground-glass is already showing me everything I will see in the final picture.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    I have a selection of loupes and the one I use is decided by the final enlargement ratio of the photograph.
    I'm not sure how this would work. Do you limit yourself to a particular print size for a given negative?

I frequently find myself doing multiple images from the same negative, usually crops or changing aspect ratio (8x10 v. 11x14 etc).

- Leigh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
    I'm not sure how this would work. Do you limit yourself to a particular print size for a given negative?

I frequently find myself doing multiple images from the same negative, usually crops or changing aspect ratio (8x10 v. 11x14 etc).

- Leigh
    Yes, I use only two sizes of photographic paper, the aspect ratios are known before I start, and all cropping is in-camera. Then I go out and deliberately choose subject matter that fits those sizes and shapes.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK.

So what happens if you do a landscape-format print, then a magazine wants to use it for a cover (obviously portrait mode)?

I've had that happen.

I shot chromes for many decades, so I'm well-accustomed to cropping in-camera. But requirements change.

- Leigh

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin