Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,316   Posts: 1,536,747   Online: 1060

Shooter
    Medium Format

How do you tell the size of a shutter?

New to LF, I bought a Crown Graphic with a Syncro-Compur-P shutter and a Schneider-Kreuznach 135mm Xenar f4.7 lens. I can not find any markings on the lens.

Thanks

Todd

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You didn't try Google? Here's what I got for the very first search result: http://www.skgrimes.com/library/used...hutters/compur

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Far better to lok on the Schnieder websites as they give full details of these lenses and the shutter size. the 135mm Xenar f4.7 is in a Compur #0 the f4.5 is in a Compur #1 like the similar Tessar.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is listed some place in www.graflex.org
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    So the bottom line is that they do not mark the shutters with their size, unlike most other things photographic:
    -filter diameter, color, lens focal length etc.

Thanks for the links

Todd

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's a good reason for not marking the shutter size, although it is with some, the aperture scales are different depending on the focal lenght of the lens itself and it's not that common to switch shutters with LF lenses.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Ian, so if my shutter can not be repaired my only option is to replace it with the same model?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Barlow View Post
    Thanks Ian, so if my shutter can not be repaired my only option is to replace it with the same model?
    The Compur #0 is probably the most common of all the LF shutters and the aperture scale should be transferable to similar (rimset) Compur shutters except the last versions. I bought quite a number of #0 shutters earlier this year 3 Compurs, two Prontor's 2 Epsilons and an Agi, some with lens elements and if the original FL/scale's right it doesn't matter what make, I have many more Copal #0#s with modern lenses.

However in your case there's Compur's going back to the early 30's availanle of you don't need flash synch, and plenty of post WWII versions as well, you just need patience and luck

Ian

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin