Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,285   Posts: 1,535,254   Online: 926

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 4x5 entry...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    $500 without seeing the list sounds like a lot to this old cheapskate.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I'm with the old cheapskate.
    My reason for using $500 as a starting point was that it included: a working camera and lens, a working enlarger, and a drum processor, which is possibly a Jobo. Often cameras offered are non-working, sat for years or of the "It works, I think, but I do not know anything about photography [or insert cameras, life, ...]" persuasion. This is a offer of working equipment and the seller is available for help and advice.

Disclaimer: I do not have nor have I ever had any problems with self-named "old cheapskate(s)".
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    A processor that rocks back and forth could be a non-Jobo, like a Beseler or other.

Not that it wouldn't serve the purpose, but might not be a goldmine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you're not looking for movements other than front rise, the older speed graphics get you a range of shutter speeds that's greater than the newer ones. The ones with the two cranks on the side go from 1/10-1/1000, where the single crank and shutter speed window go from 1/30-1/1000. You can also make your own lensboards for the pre-anniversaries. I like both. The newer ones get more movements and a graflok back, both of which are desirable features.

$100 typically gets you a ratty speed graphic that may work or a nice looking one that doesn't. It's worth more to have one in hand that you can see the shutter speeds work OK; a luxury you don't get with Internet purchases. You could spend $100 or hours getting it back to proper operation if it's lacking. I do agree with others, enlargers aren't valuable; sometimes the lens on the enlarger is worth more than the beastly thing, and sometimes that's not much. Dichroic enlargers are worth a little bit more if they work for the v.c. convenience. The developing stuff could be worthless or valuable...Check it out and reference ebay closed auctions. If the seller is looking to get rid of it, they should take some sub-ebay prices, otherwise, they'd have taken the time to photograph and list all the items and sell them that way.

Shooter
    35mm

My experience

I got a Calumet monorail view with an old Kodak uncoated lens for $70, with film holders. The bellows were like new. The lens was tack sharp but turned out to be for a 3.25 x 4.25 system and barely covered the 4x5 neg, no room for camera movement. So I had to pay over $200 for a decent lens right off. I got two Omega enlargers for under $100 combined...a Chromega medium format with the color head, and a D2 extended rail and autofocus system. The lenses were worth about $5 and I upgraded for about $70 total. The "drum processor" I got was a simple rotating drum for daylight processing of color and black and white, and I found that I needed to tray process one negative at a time to get any benefit from the zone system exposure which exploits LF to the fullest. I tried tanks and batch developing in trays but kept going back to single sheet at a time. When I picked up an Agfa/Ansco studio view 8x10 I was glad I had the patience and know how to do tray development at that point.

So the consensus here seems to be that the lenses are the real economic issue, and I agree. Another factor, however, is that there seems to be an uptick in student interest in film and LF, which has pushed low end prices back up in the last two years. Just an unscientific impression from browsing theBay.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    was the fresnel lens removed ? ( if so the camera won't focus right )
    If it was, or it's broken, keep in mind that Bob Shanebrook ('laser') here on APUG has been offering OEM replacement fresnel screens at very reasonable prices. I purchased one of them from him for my Crown and it's a beauty.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hope I stumble upon a good deal, I'm just starting in 4x5. I am in love!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

4x5 entry...

Ok, so he finally got everything together. There is supposed to be two Omega D something or nother enlargers (apparently both 4x5), two smaller enlargers, a collection of light meters, a drum dryer, some kind of drum processor not sure which, and a 4x5 Speed Graphic complete with case and flash. He said there's also paper and chemicals, a multitude of photography books, and other odds and ends.

Oh and there's supposed to be this Omega gizmo that you attach to the enlarger to either distort the negative or remove distortion.

Anyway... Total asking price $385 for everything. I still have to go look at it all on my day off to ascertain its condition.

Good deal?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherCoy View Post
    Ok, so he finally got everything together. There is supposed to be two Omega D something or nother enlargers (apparently both 4x5), two smaller enlargers, a collection of light meters, a drum dryer, some kind of drum processor not sure which, and a 4x5 Speed Graphic complete with case and flash. He said there's also paper and chemicals, a multitude of photography books, and other odds and ends.

Oh and there's supposed to be this Omega gizmo that you attach to the enlarger to either distort the negative or remove distortion.

Anyway... Total asking price $385 for everything. I still have to go look at it all on my day off to ascertain its condition.

Good deal?
    Could be. Maybe. Might not.

It depends on condition and lenses and negative carriers and condenser lenses in the enlargers and........

Lens for the Graphic? Filmholders?
    Lenses for the enlargers? negative holders? condition of the condensers?
    Light meters, are they working?

Other stuff, do you need it? condition? Can you trade it?

You didn't mention a tripod......

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

4x5 entry...

It's supposed to be a fully working setup, and from what I know of the gentleman I'm inclined to think its been VERY well taken care of.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    From the sounds of it, I think it is probably an excellent deal.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin