Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,057   Online: 925

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Keith Camera Company

As a new member from England, I would like to ask if anyone has info on the Keith Camera Company of Riverside CA. I have just acquired a 4x5" twin-lens on e-bay in great shape and intend to use this for a portrait project (which is what it was made for, I am sure). Camera is very well built, parts are machined from flat metal to avoid tooling costs. I would guess the camera is about 45 years old but would love to find out for sure.

Regards,

David H. Bebbington

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've seen these cameras. I gather that like the Camerz cameras, they were made large for school portrait photographers.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Keith Camera Company: No listinig in Riverside, CA telephone directory.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington View Post
    As a new member from England, I would like to ask if anyone has info on the Keith Camera Company of Riverside CA. I have just acquired a 4x5" twin-lens on e-bay in great shape and intend to use this for a portrait project (which is what it was made for, I am sure). Camera is very well built, parts are machined from flat metal to avoid tooling costs. I would guess the camera is about 45 years old but would love to find out for sure.

Regards,

David H. Bebbington
    I have been asked to sell one of these twin-lens cameras for a friend of mine who has no 'bay or paypal account. Any idea what they are worth?
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10."

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rcoda View Post
    I have been asked to sell one of these twin-lens cameras for a friend of mine who has no 'bay or paypal account. Any idea what they are worth?
    of course, it all depends upon size and condition. If it has holes in the bellows, for example, it isn't worth much. Even in perfect condition, they don't seem to find much demand.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had one for awhile. They're very nice cameras. I bought it from a local gun shot, of all places. I asked the owner, "How are the pictures." "Soft." He replied. I bet they were as there was a silk stocking taped on the back of the lens, and the ground glass was in upside down. The Ilex Paragon lens on mine was a fine performer. Chris Perez tested it, and it was surprisingly good. In good working shape I'd say they're worth about $200.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington View Post
    Camera is very well built, parts are machined from flat metal to avoid tooling costs. I would guess the camera is about 45 years old but would love to find out for sure.
    "Flat Metal" Sounds a lot like a GowlandFlex. The Camerz and its twins were made to use longrolls of wide film not 4x5. Peter Gowland is a Hollywood glamor photog who started making cameras about 50 years ago. I doubt that your is as old as you think because it took a while before they began to sell. About 500 total. I know Peter, his brother George, was a good friend, but have not seen either of them in about 10 years.

Does your Camera look anything like this?

Peter is still alive, at 93 and is still selling cameras. http://www.petergowland.com/camera/index.html

His photography is at http://www.petergowland.com/

Check him out.
    Last edited by Fred De Van; 08-20-2009 at 03:35 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Gowlandflex Glamour Camera 4x5
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GlamourCamera4x5.jpg  
    Last edited by Fred De Van; 08-20-2009 at 02:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A Keith Camera TL camera looks a little like a Gowlandflex, although the viewing screen is on the back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    New to this site... go by 'hombrec' ... am a LF photographer, currently buy/sell online FT... collect and use lots of different vintage photo gear... often buy from similar folks.. recently bought a "lot" [lots of items] from a serious former photo store owner/collector/camera repair person [he was multi talented, even claimed to own the copyright on some obscure camera listed in McKeowns]... but to make this short now.. have what I believe is a
    70mm Film Back for a Keith Camera?? I recall asking this guy what this back would fit, and think he said a lot of cameras have this same type back... ?

I am hoping someone can help identify what it is , what it fits and approximately what its value range is, given
    todays market... I already know I can just throw it on ebay and pray... but prefer to have more information before I resort to the "Hail Mary" approach...

... attached are some pictures, interesting, there is FILM still in the capsule, I did NOT open it up, nor do I know how to [yet] ... figured it might add to the mystery of this item, for someone who can actually use it...

thanks in advance...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KEITH1.jpg   KEITH2.jpg   KEITH3.jpg   KEITH5.jpg   KEITH6.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin