Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,557   Online: 1038

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Cable release problems!

In an attempt to make my life easier I bought a cable relase for each of my LF lenses. The idea was to attach the cables to each and leave them that way in my camera bag, ready for use. It turns out that some of the cables frequently came loose, and even fell off the shutter. Upon close inspection, it was clear that not all the cables had the same number of treads. The picture shows the one on the left (the generic brand) with a much shorter thread than the Nikon cable on the right. The Nikon never leaves it's shutter. Did I just happen to buy some defective/really bad cables, or do I need to ask about the threading before buying? Which cables to you use/recommend? I didn't think this would be so complicated....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cable.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Nikon AR-3 has a long throw, plenty of threads and is the only cable release I use anymore. It has never let me down and is worth the premium price. The new AR-3 has a plastic shaft by the plunger, but seems to be otherwise the same.

This is all about complicated but the folks here are super helpful and knowledgeable. I am constantly finding new problems to work after I've gotten through the weeks issues. It just seems to be one thing after another, for example I hadn't noticed how un-level my camera was till I posted a shot here about something else. I just finished scrimming it to level, now onto the next issue. But it's fun and rewarding to see those big negs, just remember, if it were easy everyone would be doing it.

And auto-focus still goes better with Jack Daniels.

edit: Sometimes AR-2's are listed as AR-3's so always check the tip.
    Last edited by Dan Quan; 08-29-2012 at 11:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    DanQuan.com
    stand in the place where you are

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The throw required to trip the shutter can be a factor, which is why I have tried out cable releases for my Pentax 67 prior to purchasing, (also ZeroImage 6x9 pinhole), but your problem seems related to the nipple threading and typ. Of the two releases you have, the one on the left is a design I've never seen before, while the Nikon on the right is the more conventional. I use a beefy Hasselblad release with a taught plunger and moderate throw. Previously I used a slender and tiny German cable release with a slightly longer throw (not a problem) — just fiddly to hold onto. I checked as a matter of fine detail the nipple and threads on each release. All releases I have (there are two) will also fit my old Komuranon 90mm f5.6 fitted to a home-made 6x17. So I would surmise the problem is in the design of the cable release thread/nibble: stick with the traditional nipple design, as the Nikon shows. Steer clear of el cheapo chinese releases: the quality control can be just atrocious. Mind you, many (including me) baulk at paying $80 for a big-name release but you'd be surprised how spectacularly smooth in operation and fitting accuracy they are.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd keep an eye on the Nikon release, there are 2 lying about in the undergrowth many miles from here, both fell out on different occasions. And they are not cheapies.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross Chambers View Post
    I'd keep an eye on the Nikon release, there are 2 lying about in the undergrowth many miles from here, both fell out on different occasions. And they are not cheapies.
    Tch,
    tch. They'll have you up for littering, Ross!
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks for the advice. I'll look for 2 or 3 Nikon AR-3s...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin