Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,829   Posts: 1,582,214   Online: 1033

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New to 4x5

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Awesome advice guys. I'll continue to use this camera. But I do see a press camera in my future. I am a portrait photographer so sometimes I want to be down low with my subject should they be on the ground or what have you. I can't wait to do more with it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd recommend a Super Graphic, or a Toyo 45A, even a Linhof Technika (much more expensive), as they have reasonably good movements and the firstb two aren't much more than a Crown Graphic. They can all be used handheld.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The Toyo 45A is the camera I ended up with, it is truly a joy to use.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was looking at the Toyo, so many options!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Master Technika or Horseman VH-R?
    DanQuan.com
    stand in the place where you are

Shooter
    Large Format
    The Toyo 45A and All have really come down in price on the used market lately. A good friend of mine has the 45A. It's a great camera. Toyo 45A and All's are made of metal and are sturdy.

I own a Sinar P. It's a joy to use for portraiture. It's big and heavy and doesn't move if you are clumsy like me and bump it. Just make sure that you mount it on a heavy, sturdy tripod.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Quan View Post
    Master Technika or Horseman VH-R?
    I was looking at both.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    The Toyo 45A and All have really come down in price on the used market lately. A good friend of mine has the 45A. It's a great camera. Toyo 45A and All's are made of metal and are sturdy.

I own a Sinar P. It's a joy to use for portraiture. It's big and heavy and doesn't move if you are clumsy like me and bump it. Just make sure that you mount it on a heavy, sturdy tripod.
    I have a very sturdy camera stand and a tripod. I'm just in love with the negatives!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    If you want to get really low, you can make a version of something we call a "high hat" in film production. For us it's the crown that a head mounts to bolted to a plank of plywood. Since the head for a still camera mounts so simply, you can simply bolt your head to a piece of plywood and you're done. If you drill holds in the center as well as a couple inches from a corner, you'll preserve the ability to be low while still being able to tilt sharply down without seeing the plank.

Here's a film camera on a high-hat:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PanaDP View Post
    If you want to get really low, you can make a version of something we call a "high hat" in film production. For us it's the crown that a head mounts to bolted to a plank of plywood. Since the head for a still camera mounts so simply, you can simply bolt your head to a piece of plywood and you're done. If you drill holds in the center as well as a couple inches from a corner, you'll preserve the ability to be low while still being able to tilt sharply down without seeing the plank.

Here's a film camera on a high-hat:

Brilliant!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin