Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,675   Posts: 1,481,938   Online: 1091

Thread: Slik Pro 700DX

Shooter
    Multi Format

Slik Pro 700DX

Is anyone using this tripod (Slik Pro 700DX) with a 4x5 view? Slik indicates on their website it is suitable for a 4x5 (portable) field cameras, but not view cameras.
    Sincerely,
    Matthew

Horseman L45 || Rolleicord VB || Mamiya RB67

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yes, I do. It stands in the hallway at the moment, ready to go if I feel the urge...

I have been using the SLIK legs with several heads, including an Arca Swiss B1 and right now it has a Manfrotto 029 (229 in the US). The Sinar Norma 5x7 I have works fine with the tripod. It worked with a 4x5 Horseman LE and the telescopic rail, but I thought it was pushing it slightly with the 029 head. Anything from 4x5 up to 8x10 works well. And with a less heavy tripod head than the 229 (weighs in at over closer to 2 kg in itself!) I guess the legs will do at least 5-6 kilos easily.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How about the 700DX head? The legs apparently are rated for 19.8lbs, while the head is rated for 15 lbs. My L45 is approximately 12lbs. I am trying to justify keeping this tripod (that i just ordered) or cancelling and waiting for a 780DX.
    Sincerely,
    Matthew

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was also considering a manfrotto 3057 head with the 700dx legs or Induro AT214.
    Sincerely,
    Matthew

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    When I look at the rated weights you give, it looks like it would do fine, even with the DX head. I've never used that - I bought mine as a combination of a Manfrotto 141 RC head and the 700DX legs. At the time (must be at least 7 years ago) I liked the Manfrotto heads but not the legs, or rather the construction of the locks. The 3057 head looks a lot like the 229 so I guess it is fine too.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have been using the 700DX with the pan head for about three years. I have used it with the Wista 45DX, 4X5 Speed Graphic, Calumet CC400 and an RB67, a little bit heavy but never have had a problem. Not a bad tripod for the price.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Have to see what model mine is.
    But I use it with the Sinar tilt head, Sinar heavy duty rail clamp, and my Sinar 4x5 f2.
    Seems to work okay for me, even when I had an extension rail and racked out quite aways.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I ended up getting a used manfrotto 3057 and Induro AT213 legs. These legs are sturdy and lightweight!!
    Sincerely,
    Matthew

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do use this tripod (slik 700dx) with a Bogen 3057 for my toyo-view 45G and have problems with it that needs some DIY tweaks. The problems mainly are twist resistance, or the lack of, in this system combination. First there is the Bogen base, which has a fan like wavy metal base that I think is made specially for manfrotto tripod legs so that three little screws can engage the head and prevent it from twisting. The Slik mounting base doesn't have such holes to lock the Bogen, or any other head, and seems to rely mainly on friction. So, when the whole thing is set up, any pressure applied to the rail rotates the Bogen over the tripod's mounting base very easily. But that's not all, when I keep the Bogen in place with my hand and again apply a little bit of force to the rail then the whole centre column rotates no matter how much I tighten the stopper bolt and the collar lock. I am thinking of drilling a hole in the centre column that the stopper can engage and then maybe use a tap and die set to make threaded holes in the base to engage the Bogen head. does anyone else has an easier, non-invasive solution to the twisting problem with this tripod?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin