Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,497   Posts: 1,543,079   Online: 964

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

A Question for 65mm f8 Super Angulon Owners

I now have a replacement shutter for my 65mm f8 Super Angulon. The new shutter was fitted with an 80mm lens and has an aperture scale which starts at f5.6. I can't swap the scales as the old shutter had a Linhof Select front plate with integral engraving.

If anyone has this lens, I would appreciate seeing a couple of pictures of the aperture scale taken with the lever at the two extremes of its travel. If I can see how far before f8 and after f45 it goes, I should be able to make a new scale.

Thanks.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Will do the photo tomorrow (if no-one does one sooner). Remenber that a scale is relative because the aperture is related to the diameter of the f stop as well as the FL. So the gradations betwen stops are the same it's the f no & position that will differ.

You could back calculate very easily and accurately
    . The #00 shutter has to be stopped down quite a way before it reaches the f8 max aperture of the 65mm SA.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not sure of the photo you want, mine is on a Synchro Compur and f8 lines up with 1/250 shutter, while f45 lines up with 1/8.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnielvis View Post
    f45 is closed down all the way as far as my shutter goes
    I recall that mine went a bit past f45 but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Remenber that a scale is relative because the aperture is related to the diameter of the f stop as well as the FL. So the gradations betwen stops are the same it's the f no & position that will differ.
    I am about 90% certain that the f5.6 to f32 marks I already have will translate to f8 to f45 with the SA fitted. Hopefully a couple of pictures will confirm this.

The #00 shutter has to be stopped down quite a way before it reaches the f8 max aperture of the 65mm SA.
    Yes. Looking through the lens, you can tell that closing down the aperture initially doesn't do anything until the blades cover the relatively small element facing the aperture blades.

Steve.
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 09-06-2012 at 02:02 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I recall that mine went a bit past f45 but I could be wrong.

I am about 90% certain that the f5.6 to f32 marks I already have will translate to f8 to f45 with the SA fitted. Hopefully a couple of pictures will confirm this.

Yes. Looking through the lens, you can tell that closing down the aperture initially doesn't do anything until the blades cover the relatively small element facing the aperture blades.

Steve.
    Wrong way around, a 65mm lens has a shorter focal lenght than an 80mm so focusses closer to the film plane, so because of the Inverse square law in fact f11 on the shutter scale for an 80mm lens translales to f8.9 when a 65mm lens is used.

Having found my 65mm SA it's impossible to make a useful image unfortunately, first the front cells won't budge but more importantly it's Linhof select and there' nothing to relate the scale to.

Here's the calculated changes:

80mm scale 65mm f stop
    8 6.5
    11 8.9
    16 13
    22 17.8
    32 26
    45 36.6
    9.8 8
    13.5 11
    19.7 16
    27 22
    39 32
    55.4 45

You could make a new scale and stick it on the lens, it needs shifting so the new f11 relates to the in-between 8.9.

Hope that helps

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 09-06-2012 at 03:59 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks to all.

It actually seems to be simpler than I thought. Using the simplistic aperture diameter = focal length divided by stop rule means that I can work it back from what I have to what I want. The figures are the same as in Ian's table.

Just to satisfy myself, I drew it up. First image is logarithmic, second is linear.

Basically, if I place my new f8 about half way between the existing f8 and f11 it will be about right. Certainly more accurate than I can meter!

Steve.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scale1.jpg   scale2.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnielvis View Post
    I have a linhof one--it's real easy--you need no photo--f45 is closed down all the way
    Ian, is this the same for yours? If so, it will give me some assurance if my f45 ends up in the same place!

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Ian, is this the same for yours? If so, it will give me some assurance if my f45 ends up in the same place!

Steve.

Just checked and yes f45 is the minimum it'll stop down to. Luckily f stop markings on rimset Compur, Copal, Epsilon, Prontor are evenly spacesd. older dial set lenses have scales which are circular versions of your second drawing.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Luckily f stop markings on rimset Compur, Copal, Epsilon, Prontor are evenly spacesd. older dial set lenses have scales which are circular versions of your second drawing.

Ian
    Ian, have your vision checked.

I just took a look at some of my shutters. Rimset Compur (Compur-Rapid #0, Synchro Compur #0 and #1), uneven spacing. Prontor Press #0, even spacing, #1, uneven. Copal Press #0 and #1, even, Copal cock-and-shoot #0 and #1, even. Epsilon (not sure where it fits in the Compur/Copal scheme, it holds a 105/3.8 Xpres), uneven.

With uneven spacing, the smaller the aperture, the shorter the steps.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Ian, have your vision checked.

I just took a look at some of my shutters. Rimset Compur (Compur-Rapid #0, Synchro Compur #0 and #1), uneven spacing. Prontor Press #0, even spacing, #1, uneven. Copal Press #0 and #1, even, Copal cock-and-shoot #0 and #1, even. Epsilon (not sure where it fits in the Compur/Copal scheme, it holds a 105/3.8 Xpres), uneven.

With uneven spacing, the smaller the aperture, the shorter the steps.
    Yes you're right my mistake - on the small shutter on the 65mm SA which I dhad in front of me the spacings appear to be almost even but they aren't quite.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin