Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,767   Posts: 1,484,170   Online: 897

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

small 270-300mm lens.

Hello all. It's been a while since ive done any LF but i am planning to get back into it now that it is cooler.

I am looking for a small lens for the long end of my Shen-Hao HCX-iia.
    It just barely extends to 360mm so I was hoping for a 300mm or something slightly shorter like 270mm.
    It seems like most of these are made for 8x10 cameras so they are big. I cannot find much info for small, light lenses in this range.
    What do you suggest?
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There were some very compact lenses made by Fuji and Nikkor. Then there are the original Dagor-type Symmars, the Goerz Dagors, and the f:6.3 Tessars. All will be much smaller and lighter than a modern Plasmat type.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 300mm f9 Nikon M is a nice lens, however any 5x4 camear with the necessary bellows extension tends to be prone to instability in terms of vibration/image sharpness. This is why many prefer to use a 270mm Tele lens.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Docter Apo-Germinar 9/300 in Copal 1 is a little smaller and lighter than the Nikkor-M, but uncommon. There was one for sale recently on the Large Format Forum, I don't recall offhand if it's sold.

There's the 9/270 G-Claron, though you might have better luck finding hens' teeth. And a 270mm Computar or Kowa-Graphic, more like dinosaur teeth.

Fuji made two 250s. The f/6.7, with a 398mm image circle, is complete overkill for 4x5. The newer f/6.3 came in two versions, both of which cover a bit more than the minimum for 8x10. I don't know about their weight, all three came in Copal 1 shutters. But then 250 is might close to 240, and you've probably already got one of those.

And Ian raises a very good point about stability...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you are considering a tele, I can suggest the Fujinon 300 tele. I use one with my Toyo 45A with no problems. It is relatively small and light weight.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    270mm f9 Schneider G-Claron is superb and in Copal 1 shutter. The early version "Dagor type" is the equivalent of a Gold Dot Dagor, except f9. They are hard to find. Later version is a plasmat, and also very nice, but bigger. Both would be Copal 1, but the Dagor type was a 55mm filter iirc and the plasmat would be 62. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Another really superb lens, but even harder to find is the Red Dot Artar 10 3/4" in Compur shutter.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jim, according to some PDFs I got from the Schneider site the 270mm Dagor version takes 49mm filters and the Plasmat takes 58mm filters.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Sounds like a 270mm lens may be hard to find..
    So it looks like a 300mm is my best bet. Are there any problems with using extension lensboards?
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Goldstein View Post
    Jim, according to some PDFs I got from the Schneider site the 270mm Dagor version takes 49mm filters and the Plasmat takes 58mm filters.
    Yep, that sounds right.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    Sounds like a 270mm lens may be hard to find..
    So it looks like a 300mm is my best bet. Are there any problems with using extension lensboards?
    What about a 240?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin