Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,685   Posts: 1,482,258   Online: 1050

Thread: Older Linhofs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Older Linhofs

I'm interested in a LF camera and a Linhof Technika III, IV, and V are some cameras that I'm considering. To tell you the truth, I am not familiar with large format so sorry if my questions are naive and silly.

I want a portable largeformat camera so the Graphics and Linhof Technikas come to mind. I value them for their size and portability but I do not plan on using them for handheld use and so I probably do not need a rangefinder. I'm weighing pros and cons of different systems and I'm trying to maximize my value. A monorail, even, perhaps....T

It seems that the older Linhof parts are not compatible with the newer ones and that Linhof does not service the older ones. I do not know what kind of maintenance is required but if I were to get an older one then is it difficult to find someone to CLA/repair the camera incase something goes wrong? I have not that much interest in getting any lenses cammed but how that can be an issue.

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I lusted after a Master Technika after enjoying a couple of monorails. I put down the $$ and 'went to work' but.... it did not take long to find out that while the Tecknika was as 'smooth as uno wot', it was a bit too awkward and heavy as a hand-held instrument. However, while I still have a preference for the 'quality of workmanship that goes into the Technika, I traded it in for a 4x5 Bi-Kardan which, to-day still prevents my tripod from blowing away. When 'working', my employer then invested in a Sinar P2 rather than have me use my 'personal' equipment in the lab. Both monorails were/are more 'versatile' (when it comes to shifts/swings and tilts and longer bellows extension) than the Technika (but can be readily used hand-held or on a good support). There are some benefits to the off-axis swings/tilts that I enjoyed for close-up work with the P2 that I now 'miss' using my Linhof...

but I get by. I can't seem to find any serial number on my Linhof so I probably cannot find its year of manufacture, but in 20+ years of use the only thing that has needed attention was one of the 'ring washers' in the rear standard. I cannot speak to the more 'modern' Linhof models... but I'm sure that my Bi-Kardan has a significant number of years of rigorous use left without further need of attention.

It reminds me of the old British phrase... "built like brick s**t-house".

Ken
    Quando omni flunkus moritati (R. Green)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The great advantage of Technikas, as well as similar cameras like the Crown, Speed Graphic, Burke and James press cameras is that they can be handheld, and don't require GG focusing.
    If hand holding isn't of interest, then a wood or perhaps a metal field camera may be a better choice. Either field cameras, or monorail view cameras will have more movements available than the press style cameras, and generally will be easier to use from a tripod.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    The great advantage of Technikas, as well as similar cameras like the Crown, Speed Graphic, Burke and James press cameras is that they can be handheld, and don't require GG focusing.
    If hand holding isn't of interest, then a wood or perhaps a metal field camera may be a better choice. Either field cameras, or monorail view cameras will have more movements available than the press style cameras, and generally will be easier to use from a tripod.
    That makes sense.

Any field cameras that you recommend? Or what are some brands should i look into? A rotating back is a big plus for me but outside that I'm not sure if there are any other features I should look out for since my application isn't very demanding.

And the difference between wood and metal is primarily durability and weight, right? I'd prefer durability at the expense of weight. I think that a technical camera is not what I'm looking for. I do value the compactness so I think I'd opt for a metal field camera over a monorail.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin