Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,918   Posts: 1,521,930   Online: 1109

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    the depth of field calculator on my combat speed graphic with a 127mm optar (ektar) uses a 1/300th of an inch circle of confusion assumption. With that it says, for example, that you are in focus from 21feet 6 inches feet to 29feet 7inches when the lens is set at f 4.5. It doesn't say how large a print that assumes, however, but I would guess an 8 by 10 inch. The larger the print, the less depth of field is safe to assume, as others have said.

I'm something of a pragmatist about these things -- or maybe subjectivist is a better word. Play around until you find a method that gives you nice images and don't worry about the technical aspects of things.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The problem I see with the fixed number model examples above, 1/300 or 1/1000, is that only the lens and film are considered.

Its a guess, but I think a reasonable one, that those numbers were generated based on "normal" print size, viewing distance, and expectations.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin