Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,583,050   Online: 948

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Also, is there a quality difference between the nikon 90 f/4.5 and the nikon 90 f/8? I assume faster doesn't necessarily designate better lens quality with LF lenses like it tends to for DSLR lenses?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In LF the max aperture has more to do with image circle and brightness for focusing (and the size of the lens of course). I doubt the Nikkor f/8 would be any less sharp than the f/4.5.

Regarding center filters, keep in mind they need to be matched to the lens, so it is not as easy as finding a generic center filter that will fit into the front threads. I could be wrong about this but I don't know of any center filters for the Nikkors.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Xander Fischer View Post
    Also, is there a quality difference between the nikon 90 f/4.5 and the nikon 90 f/8? I assume faster doesn't necessarily designate better lens quality with LF lenses like it tends to for DSLR lenses?
    Lens speed and lens quality are utterly unrelated, whether the lens is used on a DSLR, a view camera, a microscope........ of course the ad copy writers will have you believe differently.

The faster lenses are easier to focus (which makes a big difference in the corners of the GG when using an extreme WA lens, as you are) and more expensive - that's it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The nikon 90/8 is widely regarded as better than the 90/4.5. Empirical testing bears this out, which should be obvious anyway from the optical design. the 90/8 nikon has a greater image circle than basically all other slow 90s (f/6.8 - 8).

Shooter
    Large Format
    get an old chrome barrel super angulon, they are not very expensive, and if you
    decide you want something else, they retain their value so you can just sell and upgrade ..
    i have had and used wollensak 90mm raptar and a 3 1/2 " wollensak exwa lenses which were very sharp stopped down
    and very small ... i sold them years ago and got a super angulon 90, and to be honest i can't tell the difference between any of them ...
    as EvH suggests, focus well, use a sturdy tripod, make sure your gg + film holders are "right" stop down ... and you should be good to go,
    unless you get a lens whose previous owner mixed up the cells, or lens / shutter spacing &c, then no amount of perfection will help you ..

the main difference is the one with the larger aperture will be easier to focus wide open.
    some people have a hard time focusing lf lenses whose largest fstop is f8 ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How about a nice late model all black 90mm f/8 SA in nearly mint condition... the later model with the factory writing on the side. How does $225 shipped CONUS sound?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Nikon 90 SW f8
    Andre Noble, Beverly Hills California http://andrenoble.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Also, is there a quality difference between the nikon 90 f/4.5 and the nikon 90 f/8?
    The f8 has 8 elements and is highly corrected. The f4.5 has 7 elements.

I have owned both. The f8 is really impressive in sharpness - provided you get a good sample. The Nikon 90 f4.5 is just *OK*.
    Andre Noble, Beverly Hills California http://andrenoble.com/

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I've not only heard it the other way around, but know a number of nitpicky people (myself included) who consider the Nikkor 90/4.5 to be the best 90 wide ever made up to that point. It's extremely crisp, and a Schneider 82mm CF works perfectly on it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The important thing is not to get confused between the sharpness of a slightly older lens and the contrast of more modern lenses. It is easier to increase contrast in processing than the impossible task of increasing the sharpness. Give or take most fairly modern era large format lenses are pretty damned sharp, the main improvements in evolution being in colour rendition and micro contrast, not sharpness.

Steve

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin