Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,870   Posts: 1,583,322   Online: 1138

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Sub 35mm

new equipment - what is good for DIY 6x9 camera?

Hi All,

I just got my hands on some new lenses and others, wondering what should they worth and which one should I keep for my project?

- Galvin monorail with polaroid and Horseman 6x9 back
    - Yashinon 127mm f4,7
    - SK Linhof Tele Arton 240mm and 150mm f5,5
    - SK Xenotar 100mm f2,8
    - and a SK Linhof Super Angulon 65mm f8 I have from before...

I would like to make a 6x9 camera with helicoid focusing and viewfinder.

Question: how can I set up the perfect distance between the film and the lens for the focusing ring?

thanks, L

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've just checked in Schneiders archiv site, there doesn't seem to be a 150/5.5 Tele-Arton. 180/5.5, yes. Perhaps you misread or made a typo. Anyway, all of those lenses will cover 2x3 well enough.

You may be able to use the Galvin's back on a rigid bodied camera.

You can use the Galvin to measure the lenses' flange to film distances. Set the camera up on a tripod, put a lens on it, focus on a distant subject, and you'll know the lens' flange-to-film distance.

You'll need a helicoid for each lens. $$$, unless you're a very capable machinist.

If you want to shoot 2x3, your best bet is to use the Galvin.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polszki View Post
    - and a SK Linhof Super Angulon 65mm f8 I have from before...

I would like to make a 6x9 camera with helicoid focusing and viewfinder.
    Have a look at my link below for the 65mm 6x12 camera I made on a limited budget.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    yes, you were right, it's not 150/5.5, but 180/5.5.

Anyhow, I think I will use the Xenotar on the rigid body camera, and sell the Galvin with Horseman back and Yashica lens. Anyone interested?

Would the Xenotar cover 6x12? Or 6x18?

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Hi Steve, yes, I know your camera for ages now. I read the step millions of times.... Do you have any interest to make an other 6x12 or 6x18 frame for me?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Steve, yes, I know your camera for ages now. I read the step millions of times.... Do you have any interest to make an other 6x12 or 6x18 frame for me?
    The film holder/film gate shown here: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image297.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	57459 is the second (or possibly third) version I made. I still have the first version which uses some parts from an old folding camera to hold the film, rather than the FR4 springs I subsequently used.

You are welcome to that if it is of any use to you. I can't post a picture of the actual item until tomorrow as it's at work - and I'm not!

It's also worth looking at the Holga 6x12 pinhole camera as a cheap donor for a 6x12 back.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Would the Xenotar cover 6x12? Or 6x18?
    No not a 100mm Xenotar it's a 6x7/6x9 lens.

Ian

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    The film holder/film gate shown here: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image297.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	57459 is the second (or possibly third) version I made. I still have the first version which uses some parts from an old folding camera to hold the film, rather than the FR4 springs I subsequently used.

You are welcome to that if it is of any use to you. I can't post a picture of the actual item until tomorrow as it's at work - and I'm not!

It's also worth looking at the Holga 6x12 pinhole camera as a cheap donor for a 6x12 back.

Steve.
    thanks, but than I'll go ahead with the 6x9 back.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    quick question. Flange focal distance. This tells you what should be the distance between the mounting part of the lens and the image. For super angulon 65mm f8 it's 70,5mm. But where is the focus in this case. At infinit? If I want to use a helicoid focusing ring than 70,5mm distance hould be when it's set to infinity? Or where?

Hope someone will understand... thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The flange focus distance is from the film to the back of the shutter and is for infinity focus. If you look at any lens with a focusing ring, you will see that as you focus closer, the lens moves forwards. i.e. away from the film

That's all you have to do. You can buy a focusing helical to match your lens or you can adapt an existing lens barrel like I did.

Steve.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin