Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,800   Online: 818

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

Anastigmat versus Tessar lenses

I'm looking at two identical cameras, one with an Anastigmat lens and the other a Tessar. Which is better overall.

Doug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Anastigmat versus Tessar lenses

For shooting what?
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The anastigmat will be a bit softer, the Tessar will be soft wide open but sharpens considerably from f8 on up.

Kent in SD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    according to this http://throughavintagelens.com/2009/...astigmat-lens/ the tessar is a development of the earlier anastigmat -- tessars have a better reputation. Given the choice, all other things being equal, I'd go for the tessar. If it is softer images you want, whack the enlarger during the exposure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    or your head during exposure!
    vive la resistance!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Anastigmat is a generic word that has included many more specific types of lenses, fine and inexpensive. If possible, taking photographs with both cameras is the best test of both lenses and cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    The anastigmat will be a bit softer...
    Not in my experience. Both seem to perform about the same, and the softness is something I read a lot about but never found all that annoying.

Lens marked Tessar is likely slightly newer than one marked Anastigmat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    The anastigmat will be a bit softer, the Tessar will be soft wide open but sharpens considerably from f8 on up.

Kent in SD
    Not neccesarily. I have a lens marked "Zeiss-Kodak Anastigmat" It's a 7" f:6.3 Tessar. Another marked "13" Eastman Anastigmat" - it's an f:10 Artar type process lens.Scary sharp. Yet another marked "Goerz Double Anastigmat" - we all know what this is.

Unless the OP gives more info. about just which anastigmat he has his question is unanswerable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To add a little, the name anastigmat has been applied to many design types. The name refers to a property -- well corrected for astigmatism -- not to a design type. All tessar types are anastigmats, some anastigmats are tessar types.

Spoolman, if you want advice that's safe to act on, you'll have to tell us more about your Anastigmat. Other markings on the face plate, who seems to have made it, which camera it is attached to, ...

If you're looking at old Kodak folders, anastigmat covers a lot of lens types, including tessars, triplets, dialytes.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

Anastigmat versus Tessar

The specific reason for asking this question is that I'm looking to purchase an Ihagee Parvola 3x4 cm camera. I have a choice of two. One has an Anastigmat 70 mm lens and the other is a Tessar 70mm. The price difference between the two is significant. The camera with the anastigmat lens is $80.00 cheaper than the one with the tessar lens. I will be using one of these cameras for everyday street photography and I just needed to know which is the better lens for rseolution and sharpness.

Doug

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin