Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,910   Posts: 1,556,202   Online: 1004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Linhof Super Technika servicing

I'm looking into LF cameras.

I'm not sure which I'd pursue but the Super Technika IV and V are on my list.

1. How easy is it to get one of these serviced? What about bellows? What is the rough cost? I know that Leica's and Rollei's for instance are easy to get serviced (maybe not cheap...) and there are many options but I have no idea how it works for these cameras.

2. How easy is it to get one of these things cammed? I belive that the IV needs to have a matching lens/body but the V is interchangeable. How much does it cost to cam a lens?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Marflex is the place to go. http://www.spt.info/sptstore.php?crn...on=show_detail

They can provide all of the services you ask about.

Richard Ritter can service Linhof as well, I think.

Neither are cheap, and chinese replacement bellows aren't comparable to the originals.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I haven't had it done for a few years, but as I recall, it's around $350 to have a lens cammed, but really, if you haven't had the camera serviced, you'll want to send it in at the same time to have the rangefinder and groundglass calibrated, and there may be other parts needing replacement, so the cost of having a lens cammed can become part of a larger package.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you.

1. If my lens is cammed then is adjusting the rangefinder, incase it is uncalibrated, a DIY job?

2. Can I get a viewfinder for other focal lengths? Are they easy to come by?

3. Just to be sure (as I've never owned a LF camera), I can swap out the lens board to put on an uncammed 210mm lens, then when I put on a cammed 150mm lens everything will work just fine. That is, the rangefinder will still be aligned. Silly question, but I wanted to make sure.

I'm thinking about getting a Linhof IV/V with a cammed 150mm lens, then adding a longer lens (210mm, maybe) for portraits. The tele, I think would be less useful with the rangefinder for my application so possibly postponing or not even getting it cammed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    1) No. The rangefinder is calibrated independently of the lens on a Linhof.

2) There are two Linhof multifocal viewfinders available, plus a wire frame finder for any focal length lens. Ebay or someplace like KEH Camera.

3) Changing lenses and cams does not affect rangefinder calibration.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you for your answerrs, they are concise and to the point. One last question (I think).

1. You know what the cost is for a CLA? Roughly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by msbarnes View Post
    Thank you for your answerrs, they are concise and to the point. One last question (I think).

1. You know what the cost is for a CLA? Roughly.
    1) No. I service mine myself..... in the 20+ years I've had it, it has needed nothing beyond keeping it clean and the rails lubricated. I've CLA'd all the shutters though.

They're incredibly well made, well designed cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Agree with the above, wipe off the salt spray, and lubricate the rails etc and all will be good. Mine is in need of a new bellows though, only shows up when using long lenses. I only have one lens cammed which doesn't bother me as I always use the ground glass.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    1) No. I service mine myself..... in the 20+ years I've had it, it has needed nothing beyond keeping it clean and the rails lubricated. I've CLA'd all the shutters though.

They're incredibly well made, well designed cameras.
    I agree. Very simple to service. Last year I bought a replacement bellows from Midwest Photo Exchange (614-261-1264 talk to Jim Andrekki), and it was easy to install and fit perfectly.
    —Eric

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin