Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,204   Posts: 1,531,656   Online: 1148

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by johnielvis View Post
    if you want it for 4x5 or 5x7 then you may just want to get a real telephoto--say a 360 telexenar or telearton which are also cheaper and give you much less bellows draw and resulting blur danger from swaying--and they're both f5.6--so 2 stops brighter.
    Definitely, I recently got my Tele-Arton 360/5.5 for some 150 Euro ($200) in a working shutter.
    || Cezary Żemis <cezary.zemis@pronet.pl> | www.cezaryzemis.name
    || ph.:+49 176 7327 8527|skype:cezzem

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    A dedicated focal length lens like the one in question is going to be both more compact and optically superior to any true telephoto design.
    It will have a significantly larger image circle, so also be usable on 8x10 if that interests you. You can acquire superb optical performance more economically by using a process lens like an Apo Nikkor, but by the time you add a shutter it won't save you that much money. And more important, once you are forced into a big no. 3 shutter you not only lose your weight advantage, but potentially risk more vibration on the front standard of a lightwt field camera. The Schneider 350/f11 is the first thing of this focal length to come along in a small shutter since the Fuji 360A, which will be equally expensive if you can even find one. In terms of real-world usage and high-quality enlargements, the choice of a smaller shutter can make a huge difference. Both these lenses are in an utterly different quality league than the old Tele-Arton.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    A dedicated focal length lens like the one in question is going to be both more compact and optically superior to any true telephoto design.
    It will have a significantly larger image circle, so also be usable on 8x10 if that interests you. You can acquire superb optical performance more economically by using a process lens like an Apo Nikkor, but by the time you add a shutter it won't save you that much money. And more important, once you are forced into a big no. 3 shutter you not only lose your weight advantage, but potentially risk more vibration on the front standard of a lightwt field camera. The Schneider 350/f11 is the first thing of this focal length to come along in a small shutter since the Fuji 360A, which will be equally expensive if you can even find one. In terms of real-world usage and high-quality enlargements, the choice of a smaller shutter can make a huge difference. Both these lenses are in an utterly different quality league than the old Tele-Arton.
    Agreed, I use mine for portraits sometimes and that's it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    In the end I bought the 350/11 new through B&H - possibly one of the last that Schneider has in stock since it had to be special ordered from Germany. I think it was a wise purchase given the scarcity of the lens on the second hand market and its focal length / weight / filter size combination. Plus since I'm using the Chamonix 45F1 I can use it without any bellows extender which was a pain with my 450 lens which really was too long on this format anyway. Thank you all on this thread for your input.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by angusparkengusparker View Post
    In the end I bought the 350/11 new through B&H - possibly one of the last that Schneider has in stock since it had to be special ordered from Germany. I think it was a wise purchase given the scarcity of the lens on the second hand market and its focal length / weight / filter size combination. Plus since I'm using the Chamonix 45F1 I can use it without any bellows extender which was a pain with my 450 lens which really was too long on this format anyway. Thank you all on this thread for your input.

Good move, this lens *might* have only had one manufacturing run, along with several others, it will be discontinued by the end of the year:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...able-LF-lenses

A shame too, fabulous lens.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    Good move, this lens *might* have only had one manufacturing run, along with several others, it will be discontinued by the end of the year:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...able-LF-lenses

A shame too, fabulous lens.
    I'm not sure that's true

It was an old thread you refer to.

The English version of the Schneider Germany web site is still referring to Large Format lenses.

I'm always amazed how readily people are to believe any potential bad news about suppliers.

Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would hope you are right, but the OP talked to Schneider ( post #19 ) and found the information to be true. I would rather it not be true.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    So jealous of angus and Dan (PMK) I just can't afford it!

I'm very happy with my Fujinon 300mm F/8.5 C lens, but that extra 50mm really makes a difference...someday perhaps I'll get a deal, Dan, you know who to come to if you ever want to let it go
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    So jealous of angus and Dan (PMK) I just can't afford it!

I'm very happy with my Fujinon 300mm F/8.5 C lens, but that extra 50mm really makes a difference...someday perhaps I'll get a deal, Dan, you know who to come to if you ever want to let it go
    There are other 350mm/360mm/14" lenses out there, although the Schneider is a nice small package. Look for a 14" Artar in shutter since you are using 4x5 - same design as the Schneider, small, far less expensive, and you won't ever see a difference in image quality.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    It's not just the focal length, Stone - It's the image circle. That 300 C you picked up is a wonderful lens, esp for 4x5, but is a bit cramped on
    8x10 film (usable, but not to the degree of the 360's out there). I use a 360 Fuji A myself, but it's sure a pity if Schneider doesn't do periodic
    runs of their 350/11. The only common relatively compact thing out there is the 355 G-Claron, which is a solid performer, but in a big no.3 shutter. Likewise 14-inch dagors. Many 4x5 front standards won't support the big ordinary klunker plasmats at those kind of extensions. One really needs lighter lenses in no. 1 shutters.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin