Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,341   Online: 1118

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    So Stone, what you learned is just what I said. As you approach infinity, you're getting close to that published 282mm flange focal length,
    depending on exactly how you measure things. And that has simply been rounded to 300mm for marketing purposes, something common with
    lens manufacturers. Closer up, you'll need more bellows extension. It's still a standard dialyte design and not a telephoto in any sense. But it is a damn nice lens.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    So Stone, what you learned is just what I said. As you approach infinity, you're getting close to that published 282mm flange focal length,
    depending on exactly how you measure things. And that has simply been rounded to 300mm for marketing purposes, something common with
    lens manufacturers. Closer up, you'll need more bellows extension. It's still a standard dialyte design and not a telephoto in any sense. But it is a damn nice lens.
    You aggravate me....

Here... Cause I actually back my shit up....

Closest I could focus... See image and circle of area in focus

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387427518.055878.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	78706

Ground glass... Reversed for easy viewing...

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387427555.624785.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	78707

Ruler....

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387427589.160884.jpg 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	78708

Close up...

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387427604.979213.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	78709

That's damn close....
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Second... At infinity...

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387427683.269371.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	78710

GG (reversed for easy viewing)

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387427705.171400.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	78711

Ruler...

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387427725.972949.jpg 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	78712

Close up

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387427739.923830.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	78713

Ok??

10 inches at infinity....exactly 254mm....
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Give up, Stone. It's been explained to you several times by several people. Your measurement appears inaccurate, BTW. You should measure from the front of the lensboard -without the lens - to the inside surface of the GG. This measurement would giive you the flange focus, not the focal length. You need to look up and understand the difference between these two terms, you will then be less confused. Drew might refresh his memory as well...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Better make sure you're not using a Rubbermaid tape rule, Stone ... you know, those things you just stretch to get the marks wherever you want them.
    Oh Drew, you're talking about one of those rulers men use to measure Mr. Happy.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    In this case the difference between the nodal point and the flange is relatively minor, so even measuring from the lensboard to the film plane
    should make it apparent that telephoto design is not in fact in play. And that's all that this nonsense is about. The official specs are published;
    so Stone should argue with Fuji and not us. But a floppy cloth tape????

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In this case the difference between the nodal point and the flange is relatively minor, so even measuring from the lensboard to the film plane
    should make it apparent that telephoto design is not in fact in play. And that's all that this nonsense is about. The official specs are published;
    so Stone should argue with Fuji and not us. But a floppy cloth tape????
    But still, the distinction is important. Stone would rather argue than learn what flange focus, focal length, and telephoto mean.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I just didn't want to confuse him with yet another detail. Maybe I was a little too quick on the draw with that cloth tape comment too, but that's inevitable since right at this moment my head is eighteen inches from a whole cabinet of Starrett machinist's rules (which I happen to sell here, among many other especially nice tools- my office is literally a vault).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Fuji 300mm C f8.5 is certainly NOT a telephoto design... and I do not desire to debate the terms. =)

That being said I did recommend it to Stone for use on his camera, a Toyo 45AII. I have that same camera and the Fuji 300mm C f8.5 lens. I forget the exact minimum focus distance but I can set up my camera with this lens in my living room and focus on the lamp by the wall. I'd have to remeasure but the living room is small, the focus distance is somewhere between 10 and 20 feet. This is the main reason I bought the lens and sold my 305mm G-Claron. The G-Claron requires MUCH more bellows draw.

I cannot and will not comment on Stone's own measurements.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Drew, I have a brother in law who is a Machinist. He asked me what tolerances I worked to in sheet metal. I told him a quarter inch because you can caulk over a quarter inch.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin